Ford Forums banner

2006 2.0 engine noise

13K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Gentlefolk, I have a friend that has a Focus that she recently bought and after the first oil change, it started to tick and it has been doing this ever since. (It may have ticked before the oil change, but I don't know.) I thought that I had it isolated to the front cover, so I was thinking it was the timing chain, then one day I got a 911 call. Went down there and eventually found that the #3 spark plug had came out. I was hoping that reinstalling it would solve the ticking, but it didn't. So that led me back to the timing chain. I decided that before I dig into the chain, I would get some educated opinions, so I came here.

140.000 miles. Kinda riced out with a K&N and low budget lowering and interior and engine compartment pieces painted --PINK--!

I guess my first thing is to take a good look at the spark plug threads to be sure we don't have an issue there, but what next. I asked a very trusted member his opinion and he said that timing chain problems happen but they are rare and only at start-up. This one ticks all the time.

Her BF was supposed to change the plugs on it, so maybe one of the other plugs was loose as well. I need to ask that question.

Anything else that we should look at? If it was a chain that was really bad, would it make noise all the time, but be worse on a cold start-up?

We could really use some direction here. Most of what I work on has either gears or belts, so I'm a bit out of my element.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sticking tappet is a possibility. Is this a scenario for that Sea Foam stuff I have heard about? Put it in and run it for a bit, then change the oil. Isn't that how that goes?

Definitely want to check the spark plugs. Typing out the first post got me thinking about that.

#4 ·
Never ever used Sea Foam or similar . We always done the job " correctly " by stripping down , examining , cleaning or replacing lifters / tappets as needed. Best way and more work / profit for the workshop .Saying that I know many that have had success with it and quite a few used car dealer friends swear buy it as it often saves them cash , others regret using it .There are many valve lifter additives ,

How to Fix Noisy Tappets/Lifters – MotorEx

#10 ·
Thanks, guys. I never would have thought to listen to the intake manifold for a ticking noise. Now I just ned to get her to stop in and I can pull the hose from the actuator and see what happens. Reading that and some links, it sounds like a temporary fix is to disconnect the linkage and wire the flaps open. It gets rather cold, especially where she lives, so I am concerned about cold weather operation.

#12 ·
I have a friend that has a Focus that she recently bought and after the first oil change, it started to tick and it has been doing this ever since.
I'm curious to know what brand and part number of oil filter and what brand and viscosity of oil was used. Reason why I ask is some of the cheaper filters have crappy or no anti drain back valves.

Also some vehicles have hydraulic valve lash adjusters (not sure if yours does) and some filters/oil viscosity can affect oil pressure and interfere with that system.

#16 ·
Wow am I glad I questioned my timing chain diagnosis. Sure enough, once I pulled that hose, the noise stopped. To me it looks like my options are to delete or install new. I don't think that I would trust a used one since it is probably ready to fail as well.

Thank you guys for your advice. I will let you all know how it turns out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.