2006 Focus crank pulley alignment - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 09:10   #1 (permalink)

2006 Focus crank pulley alignment

So need some rather urgent confirmation that I have made a good educated guess on installing the crank pulley on a 2006 with a 2.0L!
Had to remove the crank pulley to make repairs but failed to anticipate the lack of a key way locater for the pulley and before I had a chance it had turned freely and now I need to replace it in the correct spot. This is what I have done and it seems logical but please chime in if I am wrong! I removed the plug on the block for the crank locater/timing pin to be placed in and secured it, then installed the crank pulley so that an alignment screw could be placed in the small hole that then aligns with the threaded hole in the timing cover and tightened the set screw to hold securely.
Seems logical but would like to know if this is correct, anyone?
Thanks
gtuplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 09:50   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2006 Focus crank pulley alignment

This any help to you ?

The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet - View Single Post - Duratec UDPs - We need your input! [56K Alert]
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:05   #3 (permalink)

Hmmm looks like I am on the right track! I did not have the timing chain off or any components removed, simply had to change the oil seal and then it hit me after it was to late that I had not checked placement! I think I have done everything suggested and worst case it will probably just code for a crank sensor and not start.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 22:32   #4 (permalink)

So still have a problem! Does anyone know if the timing chain gear is keyed on the crank or is it held in place with a hope and a prayer of the crank pulley? Can it move freely (timing gear) on the crank if crank is turned?
Old 02-20-2011, 23:04   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Hope this helps

Quote:
CAUTION: The crankshaft, the crankshaft sprocket and the pulley are fitted together by friction, with diamond washers between the flange faces on each part. For that reason, the crankshaft sprocket is also unfastened if you loosen the pulley. Therefore the engine must be retimed each time the damper is removed. Otherwise severe damage can occur.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:54   #6 (permalink)

Hmm looks like the information I was looking for , could be an expensive oversight on my part! I made the assumption that the chain gear was keyed! I will have to try timing it but think it might be to late!
Old 02-22-2011, 19:49   #7 (permalink)

So now that I have confirmed timing is correct and tested it, it turns out it will be a costly error! So question that someone might know would be this, it is confirmed that valves did make contact and bend but would any other damage occurred before I replace the head?
Old 02-22-2011, 19:56   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Normally not. Once in awhile, a piston can get damaged and you won't know until it's disassembled. Also a connecting rod shortened.
Old 02-22-2011, 20:38   #9 (permalink)

Well understandably it never ran but was only turned over a few times so I hope no other damage but just wanted to check.
Old 02-22-2011, 21:21   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Was it turned over with the starter?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum