2007 2.0l Automatic Ford Focus Gearbox problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 11:34   #1 (permalink)

2007 2.0l Automatic Ford Focus Gearbox problem

Please could someone give me some advise as i am now desperate to sort these problems out???
My Ford Focus automatic gearbox has been giving me some issuses. There are several error codes that have come up on the diagnositcs machine. Here they are:
P0732 - Gear two ratio error,
P0767 - Shift Solenoid D stuck on,
P0981 - Shift Solenoid D ctrl circ range/ Performance

Any idea what could be done to solve these problems or what could be causing them??? We did note that when driving, it changed from 1st to 3rd after 3000rpm, +-30km/h, pretty much the only two gears that are working. If you are if manual mode, 2nd and 4th gear just revs and there is no power to the wheels. It seems to get stuck in 3rd when on the highway and won't change to 4th when in auto mode.

Please help.
Terence
Terence01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 15:25   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2007 2.0l Automatic Ford Focus Gearbox problem

The Trans in your focus is called the 4f27e. Second and fourth share one similar apply component. The 2-4 band. It uses a servo(piston with an apply rod) to apply the band. Over the years have replaced quite a few servos for this problem. Usually the servo bore has tiny grooves that wear the servo seals. Usually replace the servo and emery cloth the bore and its good to go. Some have worn the bore to the point it needs repaired. Will be hard to tell without diagnosis and inspection.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 22:31   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply, i hope it is going to work! Please could you assist me with telling me where i could locate the servo? I have managed to find a break down of the gearbox on the following website:(http://www.daccoinc.com/pdfs/catalog...N4AEL_FNR5.pdf) Please could you let me know which part number i would be looking at to replace. I really appreciate your help.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:32   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

The servo is #900 in the picture. The problem is to replace you have to remove the valve body to do so. I also don't recommend just replacing parts. Need to try and verify that's the problem. The website you added the link to should be able to get you a repair Manual for the Trans. That would help a lot if this is something you plan on doing yourself. If you remove valve body and servo is worn like I said earlier the shaved pieces could be inside the valve body. At that point would need disassembled and cleaned. Not trying to scare you just being realistic.

Old 09-04-2013, 22:07   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for your advise. I'll check that out. Much appreciated!!!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:04   #6 (permalink)

Hi R-clar,

I finally got the part you spoke of, fitted it and still the same problem. The thing that confuses me, when I drive the vehicle and the warning lights finally come on, I get 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. No final gears.where as before I would only get 1st and 3rd. Really stuck on this problem now!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-10-2013, 16:21   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

So you are sure you have 1st 2nd and 3rd? If so the band and servo are now ruled out. If only fourth is missing its possible it's a shift solenoid mechanical or electrical fault.

Old 11-10-2013, 16:24   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Number 421or 422 in the picture. I usually test them with a scan tool and can hear an audible "click " sound. Without a scan tool will need to find the correct wire at connector and use a fused jumper to listen for operation. Also what codes have returned?

Old 11-10-2013, 21:40   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for coming back to me. I replaced the servo but not the band. Could it be the band that is slipping? why i ask, when i change into manual, 4th gear just revs, but on initial power i can feel a slight take but then the motor just revs again.

I did check all the solenoids for the click sound and they all seemed fine. We have also changed valve bodies. It seems as thou when the fault lights come on it gets second gear. I'll be going again today or tomorrow to get the fault code readings and then will let you know.

Could it also be another electrical component that has gone, for example, a wheel sensor which causes the gearbox not to operate properly. A few people i have spoken to thinks something like that could also be the problem.

Is there any way to test the control unit for the gearbox?
Old 11-11-2013, 17:16   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

The band is used for 2nd and fourth. If you now have 2nd then the band and servo function just fine. If you changed valve body it should rule out a majority of other parts. Does second seem to come in at the right speed ? PCM could be a possibility but I've never had one bad for a no 4th issue. Did you change the right solenoids ? Simple explanation of the gears in this Trans is simple.
1st: forward clutch and low one way mechanical clutch
2nd: forward clutch and 2/4 band
3rd: forward clutch and direct clutch
4:th direct clutch and 2/4 band
Rev: rev clutch and low reverse clutch
Low 1st: forward clutch and low reverse clutch.
So for not having 4th you know that all the apply components inside should work because you have 3rd and 2nd from what you are telling me. Already.changed valve body and light doesn't come on till already driving tells me the wires to the Trans from PCM should be ok because it should be able to detect a actual wiring issue just running not moving. So either something is being overlooked or haven't found problem yet.
Would it be possible to test drive and post a video of the tach with good sound of the engine to try and determine the shifts when and how they happen?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum