Advice please on focus clutch noise - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:27   #1 (permalink)

Advice please on focus clutch noise

hi guys

Bought a 2002/2003 1.8 TDCI focus 160k but had lots of engine work done so seemed like a good buy, seemed fine on test drive apart from it seemed like battery was low when I started it because starter seemed weak, but thought id charge battery when i got home, got all the way home.

Test battery when I got home and its fine

Now heres the problems

Starter seems weak to start, turns twice before weakly starting.

At idle with the clutch not pressed can hear a grinding noise about every second, and vibration, when I press clutch in it all stops and everything is fine. If i rest my foot on the clutch can feel a strong tapping on the peddle.

Car pulls off fine, no noise or vibration when driving, just at idle

Was driving yesterday and did notice when I pulled off the clutch got stuck about half way, then popped while i was moving and clutch engaged more

I dont know if this is normal but clutch seems really low, bout an inch i reckon til clutch is fully engaged

I fear it may be flywheel, but i have noticed different symptoms from people so i dont know

any advice please would be great
wbauk2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 07:25   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Advice please on focus clutch noise

Looks like you have a clutch / DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel ) fault . Common fault on that car . This could also be related to " lazy " starter / starter dragging . Might be advisable to get battery and starter load tested if problem persists but get clutch checked out first in case it collapses / get worse .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:05   #3 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Ah beat me to it R.S, I was going to say he must have a DMF too.

In the case of the DMF, you will need to take the trans out, and chances are it is toast, mine is toast and it's only at 118k-120K. Just don't get mad when you see the price for a new DMF, just find a conversion kit, to convert it to a single piece flywheel. A DMF can be up around $800 bucks, or you can find a conversion kit for around $400-$500. Just what ever you do, use a organic clutch plate, unless your making big power.

This> Brake & Front End < will explain in great detail what a Dual Mass flywheel is all about. Yes this article is talking about older cars, but it's still a problem with the newish ones too.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

You can get a conversion kit for that car , here is an example ,

Prospect Auto Spares Product Range

Products › Dual Mass To Solid Flywheel Conversion Kits › Ford Dual Mass To Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit › Ford Focus Dual Mass To Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit
Ford Focus Dual Mass To Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit
Vehicle : Ford > Focus

Ford Focus Dual Mass To Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Dual Mass To Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit (CK9836) (2001 - 2004) - £ 279.99

Might help you .
Old 10-04-2011, 13:08   #5 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Finding a conversion kit should not be hard at all, be sure to check E-bay, I found my kit at a company for $527, I go on E-bay, and the same company was selling it for $456.

So look around a bit before spending. And that doesn't mean buy the cheapest POS you can find. lol, JK.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
Old 10-04-2011, 13:33   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

The link I supplied is cheaper still and in UK where poster stays .When you buy parts like that or parts in general through E-bay or others , you can have serious problems if they fail and you try to claim under warranty . Plus you dont know if the parts are genuine or fakes in many cases , not just car parts .
Old 10-04-2011, 17:14   #7 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Well in my case the seller of the kit on e-bay, is the company that makes the kit.

But yes some things you have to watch out for, using pay-pal is a good way to protect yourself as far as money goes. Damages is another big story.

EDIT: you are right R.S, I looked over both products on the companies site and E-bay, and the clutch disc size are different. But the E-bay one is actually saying the size I need, which is 9 3/8. IDK, looks like I will do some more searching too.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:26   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

I always like to get parts locally , even if it cost a little extra . That way if you have any problems , you can go back and speak to the supplier direct and get it sorted out there and then . Also if you get messed about you can always drag the guy over the counter !!
Old 10-05-2011, 16:47   #9 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Well I've decided to go with a well known company called FSWERKS, they have a focus clutch kit with flywheel for about $550.

I've heard tons of people say this kit is the best for the 2.3l. It just cost a little extra.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

Looks good company / supplier .

Exedy, LuK and Sachs Clutches for Ford Focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum