Is an auto Zetec any good? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2003, 01:59   #1 (permalink)

Question Is an auto Zetec any good?

My wife wants a new car and keeps pointing at 5 door Zetecs.
Anybody want to offer their experience of an auto model up for pro's and con's.
I can't convince her she needs a 6 speed ST170.
supermono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 06:33   #2 (permalink)
Focus user

Re: Is an auto Zetec any good?

as far as i know from people who've driven the autos (i bought the manual...never wanted auto) i'm of the understanding that the auto really sucks the life out of the engine. on the other hand...i believe the 6 speed to be a bit of overkill....with the st170 being way overpriced for what it is as well. my advice...get a zetec (auto if you must) and spend some of the money your saving not buying a 37grand st170...into engine and suspension mods...thatd keep ya happy i reckon. thats my advice anyways, do with it what you will...good luck with your choice.

If trees could scream...would we be so cavalier in cutting them down?
.....maybe.....if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Kymera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:54   #3 (permalink)
RACE

The auto Zetec is not unlike any other auto 2.0l small(ish) cars. It's not too bad, it needs about 3000rpm before it really gets going.
It wouldn't be a bad choice at all.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:58   #4 (permalink)
Focus user

the figures on the subject as tested by motor and wheels mags. manual 0-100 in 9.something secs....the auto is 11.something. i guess its personal preference....go drive and auto and a manual and see what you think. and then let us know.

If trees could scream...would we be so cavalier in cutting them down?
.....maybe.....if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Kymera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:20   #5 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

i guess as it is your wifes car it depends on what SHE wants. Having said that i would try and aim for a 5 speed manual with cruise.

Take them for a spin and see what you and she think

And dont pay RRP!
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 17:35   #6 (permalink)

if this is your wifes car it will be fine but if u do engine modifications and go past 170ish whp you are going to need to buy an transmition overhaul kit cause the atx tranny really sucks on the focus the mtx is a whole lot stronger.
focus mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 20:18   #7 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

yeah having owned a manual zetec for 6 months + I can say it is an absolute dream to drive and the MTX really is a nice, happy and easy to use little gearbox. Very flexible. The ST170 is an absolute joke, 6 gears is a total waste and personally the 5 speed is much easier to use, much softer and nicer yet still precise and accurate gearchanges. ST170 is not worth the money. I am actively trying to ocnvince people not to buy it and I love my Fords. The one car Ford needs to actually try to sell and we should make them want to sell the bloody things. 6 months later and there are dozens sitting untouched in lots or on showroom floors. Just racking up the test-drive km's.

The Zetec Auto is a little sluggish compared to the manual, but is generally a nice little car. Has enough power and drives really well. You'd be doing your wife a favour to take her for a test drive in one. If you can buy the manuasl by all means get it. It's faster, cheaper, more fun and uses slightly less fuel. If not, you won't go wrong with the auto.

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 18:49   #8 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

Mum's got the LX auto as her daily driver. She's quite happy with it, she always says she has fun driving it and she hasn't complained about the fuel economy.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum