Blank Spot in Dash - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2004, 03:57   #1 (permalink)

Blank Spot in Dash

Anyone that owns a focus that just had a little tray (for money.... i dunno) next to the dash (where the auxillary cluster sits in the st170 and a trip meter in the ghia) and has filled it up with something? I wanted to put the st170 auxillary cluster in, but to buy these things is around the $600 mark and the spare parts dealer said their not compatible coz there are no wires to hook up the gauges. Is it possible to get some wires put through? Also if anyone has put anything in there, to let me know coz i really want to fill it up.
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2004, 05:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Blank Spot in Dash

I usually just chuck a few gold coins for tolls in there....other than that it doesnt get used and yes it does seem like a useless waste of space. maybe you could wire up a gaugue of some kind for there yourself or with an auto electrician....?

www.eurofordclub.com
www.wrc.com
www.greatsouthernsuper.com.au
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 05:37   #3 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

im sure you can wire the ghia cluter up into that spot.. shouldnt be all that hard even if there are no wires in it just make some :D

chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 19:34   #4 (permalink)
Focus user

hmm...maybe you should spend 7000 on a turbo kit..then you can put a boost gauge in there! lol.

If trees could scream...would we be so cavalier in cutting them down?
.....maybe.....if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Kymera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 20:22   #5 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

2 options.... well 3 actually...

1 - You can buy the Ghia temperature sensor for the front bumper behind the teflon strip, the Ghia trip computer and fascia surround and the Ghia left indicator stoalk with INFO button on the tip, all together installed (plugs are taped to the metal crossmember behind the dash cluster on every Zetec) and costs the vicinity of about $400 I think, check with you local dealer. a Good mod though.

2 - You can buy the ST170 dash cluster with oil guages etc but I don't recommend it and it would cost a BOMB. Not sure if the wiring is right for those, no idea there.

3 - Stick to coins or possibly scour the net for a US or UK custom made guage for that little spot.

Has anyone noticed the desigh flaw whereby if you have the cointray filled with coins (as you imagine it should be) and you corner really hard to the right, all the coins slide out and fly over into the left passenger footwell and door pocket. Interesting in a car that corners so amazingly brilliantly that this happens every &*(%%*$$ time I corner hard to the right!!!!!! I am toying with the idea of searching for a Ghia at the wreckers to find a trip computer... good luck!!!!!!!

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 21:53   #6 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

well dont corner hard :D easy fixed, or do as i do and use the ashtray for the coin holder

chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:59   #7 (permalink)

yep, I use the ashtray near the hand brake lever for my coin spot...only use the little tray up top for the two coins necessary for the next toll booth...

www.eurofordclub.com
www.wrc.com
www.greatsouthernsuper.com.au
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 17:50   #8 (permalink)
Anger is my Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec
2 options.... well 3 actually...

1 - You can buy the Ghia temperature sensor for the front bumper behind the teflon strip, the Ghia trip computer and fascia surround and the Ghia left indicator stoalk with INFO button on the tip, all together installed (plugs are taped to the metal crossmember behind the dash cluster on every Zetec) and costs the vicinity of about $400 I think, check with you local dealer. a Good mod though.

2 - You can buy the ST170 dash cluster with oil guages etc but I don't recommend it and it would cost a BOMB. Not sure if the wiring is right for those, no idea there.

3 - Stick to coins or possibly scour the net for a US or UK custom made guage for that little spot.

Has anyone noticed the desigh flaw whereby if you have the cointray filled with coins (as you imagine it should be) and you corner really hard to the right, all the coins slide out and fly over into the left passenger footwell and door pocket. Interesting in a car that corners so amazingly brilliantly that this happens every &*(%%*$$ time I corner hard to the right!!!!!! I am toying with the idea of searching for a Ghia at the wreckers to find a trip computer... good luck!!!!!!!
There is a 4th which i have kinda done... Incar Mobile Phone kit.

Looks good and is more useful then the temp sensor! But i doesnt really take up the hole...

Russ
Mongoose Security, 12 Inch Xpolde Sub + Box, 800 watt Monoblock Xplod Amp, Nokia 7250i inbuild carkit, 20% Window tints Dropped 42mm on Peddlers Sports Springs with 18x7.5 LENSO 'Concept Five' rims rolling on 35mm of Falken Rubber. Black Altezza Style rear light

ST170 Side repeaters and fog to reverse light!
WASACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 22:33   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymera4
hmm...maybe you should spend 7000 on a turbo kit..then you can put a boost gauge in there! lol.
haha, i would have already done that if 3 thigns allowed me to....
1) warranty
2) insurance
3) money
Old 10-27-2004, 22:40   #10 (permalink)

yeh Zetec, i was thinking along that way too. i asked about the st170 cluster and it costs $585 plus installation, and it is basically incompatable with the SR, the guy said a bit of work would have to be done for it to work.

The trip computer seems like a good idea too, would it be a simple plug in to some unit within the car and would we get full functionality like the fuel consumption n stuff.

Another thing i was thinking is makin up my own little pod to fit by buying some of my own gauges from repco or some place similar and making a perfect fit for my own cluster. I finish uni exams in 3 weeks so im gona have a stack load of time on my hands.
If i were to do this, would there be the sensors on the engine already? so its just a matter of finding the right units and the right wires to get the gauges to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum