broken seal on windshield? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 19:32   #1 (permalink)

Question broken seal on windshield?

Passenger side floor, front and back, soaking wet after heavy rain. The seal along the windshield, on the right bottom of the window in away from the window, maybe 1/4 of an inch. Would this be letting in the water? or maybe it is coming in some other way? Anyone else have a similar problem with 2003 focus?
Mechanic couldn't give any advice, other than condensation from air-conditioner? Put duct tape along window to see if helps, now waiting for the next rain storm to see.
molly19492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: broken seal on windshield?

I had a similar problem on a 2001 Taurus. I was leaking rain and wind in both top coners. A glass installer should be able to fix your problem.

Are you hearing any unusual wind noise while you drive?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:52   #3 (permalink)

No, haven't noticed sound associated with problem. Will have a glass/window person check it out. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-10-2008, 18:12   #4 (permalink)

After putting duct tape along rubber seal along bottom of windshield the leaking has stopped. Now will go to auto glass company to see if they can make the repair. Wonder what would make the seal separate?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:46   #5 (permalink)

the seal away from the screen is most likely to be the problem another cause is a faulty fitted pollen filter job, the top cover is tricky to fit and leaks onto passenger side floor if not done correctly i think ford recomend 2 new seals to be fitted to the cover as opposed to one they first recommended
fastbysuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:43   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info fastbysuzuki. Now I am wondering if something happened to the seal when I brought my car to local mechanic for routine maintenance. When I picked the car up they told me that they didn't change the "cabin" filter because the car isn't equipped with one. Is the cabin filter the same as a pollen filter? The leaking wasn't noticed until after the maintenance was done. Do you think something happened to the seal then? Wish I knew more about cars and how things work. Do you think I should have the problem checked at a Ford Dealer? I hate bringing the car to the dealership because they always want to do "complete diagnostics" which is well over $100. I would like to go with a specific thing to check if possible. What would you do? Go back to where the work was done? or go to Ford service?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:44   #7 (permalink)

some focus' are equipped with a "cabin filter" (and yes, also the same as pollen filter, it's located under the cowel on the passenger side)

sometimes in the reqular maintenence we will (i'm a ford tech) check to see if said focus has a cabin filter, like i said, some do, some don't.

as for water leaks... i know on earlier models there has been problems with the moulding across the top of the windshield will seperate and cause leaks and windsnoise. but it's very possible that the seal has dried or cracked, or seperated.

but as already mentioned.. your best bet is to just go to an auto glass shop and have them check it out.
stepAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:57   #8 (permalink)

My money's on the pollen/cabin filter route. It's under the plastic 'scuttle' trim below the windscreen/shield and if this trim's not refitted correctly, or one of the white clips are broken, the trim will sit proud of the windscreen and allow water straight into the vehicle via the heater motor. Fix is a 2ft long seal that's fitted at the top of the scuttle trim to close the gap between it and the windscreen.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum