Cutting Ford Keys - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:02   #1 (permalink)

Cutting Ford Keys

MY local lock smith tells me that I cant cut my car key at the local hardware store becuase you dont want to use a key copy cutter. I also bought the key from Ikeyless.com for a fraction of the cost of the dealer or locksmith.
The locksmith also said that since I bought the keys from a non OEM dealer ie the keys are not OEM that the dealer may not program them. Lcoksmith also said he wont program them becuase I did not buy the key from him as well
I have two keys that need cut and programmed 2008 ford focus and a 2005 Ford Expidition anyone else ran into this????
zek4964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Cutting Ford Keys

There is more than one side to everything. You want to pay and I want some $$$, so hell yeah, I'd cut your key and program it, but of course, no guarantee it will work. What you bought may be a pos. Call the Ford dealer and see if they will do it. Ford has a whole lot more buying power than the locksmith. Most are small and often one man shops. The machine to program, costs the locksmith about 5-8 grand, needs constant updates because of new technology. Then of course there is the cost of a cloning machine if they have that too.

It takes a lot of sales to pay for the machine before they can make some bling. So you can’t really blame them, but if it was my shop, I’d do the work. Call some other locksmiths in, or near your area. You may find one that will do it for you.
Also, many shops are mobile only, so they usually charge more than one that has a walk in shop. Some hardware stores and even some walmarts can do the keys too, but all they are using is a cloning machine. If that is the case, you still won’t be able to add your own additional keys later.

Google Ford PATS systems if you care to read up on it some more. Knowledge can be power in the right hands.
Don’t lose your only key or you may find yourself paying HUNDREDS!!! To get a new working key.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:57   #3 (permalink)

your locksmith should be able to cut them for a fee at least that's what we do at my shop. the dealer also should be able to program them as long as they are the right blank with the right chip
Old 01-27-2011, 16:55   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They should be able to cut them and if you have 2 keys for each vehicle already working, you can program them yourself. Check the owners manual.
Old 01-27-2011, 18:41   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

You can't program them yourself if they are cloned keys.
heavyd, do you program for free too?? If so, you may want to reconsider
Old 02-03-2011, 23:20   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
You can't program them yourself if they are cloned keys.
What do you mean cloned keys? I thought if the dealer programs them I can program a 3rd myself. I only have one original working key for both vehicles. I have a second for each vehicle, the second key for each is a key I bought online that is for my cars. Are those now going to be cloned keys?

I am assuming you mean by cloned is that when I have two working keys when i program the third myself that third key is cloned key. Not the first two. The issue is I need a second key cut and programmed, now those keys are not going to be clones because the dealer is going to program them. CORRECT?
zek4964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:55   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

If they are actually programmed to the vehicle, then it is two separate frequencies. If they are cloned, then it would have the same frequency. I don't think dealers clone them, usually hardware stores and some locksmiths. Some locksmiths can program the keys or clone them and some can only clone them
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Got extra keys cut for family member on our last two new Fords and just programmed them as the owners manual , simple to do .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27   #9 (permalink)
Always the student

Depending on the year and make, as to whether or not you need two keys to program or just one. If the system does need two keys to program additional keys, it can't be done if you only have two keys and one of them is a clone of the other one.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51   #10 (permalink)

you need to go to the dealer
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum