Drop in fuel level after fill up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 17:31   #1 (permalink)

Drop in fuel level after fill up

Hey there. I've got a 2005 Ford Focus, and today after filing up my tank, I noticed that when I turned on the car it had not filled up all the way like it usually does. Also, while driving home (about 1 mile away), the fuel level on the meter dropped from right below full to 3/4 full. I checked for a fuel puddle and any strange smells, but didn't find any (I left the car on for 10 mins). The only thing I found was a puddle of odorless, colorless liquid under the passenger seat side, which I assume is water from the A/C.

I searched around and couldn't really find anyone with my same problem, and this being Labor Day weekend it's going to be hard getting it fixed in time for plans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
INVALID is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 18:45   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Drop in fuel level after fill up

How's the mileage? I'll assume that you're not completely filling the tank. Try another fuel station, or, at the same fuel station, pull the nozzle out 1" or so when fueling and that should allow the tank to get full.

On my '99 Taurus, after driving 45kms (28m) my fuel tank needle drops 1/4 tank, but it's done that since new and I wouldn't overly concern myself if your mileage is on par.

If you put in ten gallons and drive 300 miles on the highway or better, you're in great shape.

If it's really bothering you, you can do two things, such as change the fuel filter for added piece of mind and get the fuel pressure and pump/sending unit checked out. As the car doesn't seem to be leaking fuel, try the 'pull out the nozzle a bit' method that I mentioned above. I know when my '99 Taurus is full, the pump kicks off and I can still put in a gallon of fuel afterward, if not more, should I want to push it when going on a long trip.

Yes, regular A/C use can allow water to pool under the front of the vehicle as it drains out in front of the fire wall. Keep in mind, to save wear on the compressor, shut the A/C off and wait a few seconds before turning off, or on, the vehicle.

Otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:30   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

May have been tank unit / sender sticking . If it persists may have to replace unit but could have been a one off . See how it goes at next fill up as you might have had a slight airlock whilst filling last time .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:00   #4 (permalink)

LOL...someone is stealing your GAS!! At all time highs...we have noticed an increase in Gas being stolen out of peoples tanks in their driveways...There goes the Locking Gas Cap sales...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum