Electrical problems? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 07:21   #1 (permalink)

Electrical problems?

I have a 2004 Ford Focus SE, purchased in 2006.

Roughly a year ago I had the alternator replaced with a new alternator. Everything has been somewhat fine (idles rough, sometimes has to be started twice, radio will "freak" out and change randomly). Just yesterday when the family and I were heading out to a nearby lake to celebrate Father's Day the car starts having a really nice problem..

Dash goes completely dead, radio locks up, and if I take my foot off the gas it starts to slowly chug. Pulled off to a side street (as we were on our way out to the lake) and as soon as I stopped it died. Tried to start it up again and it would click click click. Found that the battery fluid (whatever is done in the resevoirs for the battery?) was bone dry. Tried putting some water in as a temporary fix, had it jumped and the car ran fine for about 15 minutes and then died again. Jumping it did nothing this time. Sent the wife on home with some friends that came along and went to get a new battery. New battery in, everything works fine.

Then today I notice the battery light has come on. The drive back was a good 25 minutes or so, and had no problems there. Just ran the radio (no AC, windows down). Now on today's drive to work I find the battery light on.

What could be causing this? Are there known issues with my car? Anything I can do to fix this outside of bringing it to a mechanic?

Thanks for any help
Phreggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 09:18   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Electrical problems?

Sounds like the alt. Put a volt meter on the battery terminals, engine running and all accessories on. Voltage should be 13.5-14.5. If not, make sure connections are good. Still the same results-- replace the alt.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:34   #3 (permalink)

I'll give that a try when im home.
If it is the alternator... Well im happy I have a life-time replacement warranty on that damned thing.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:25   #4 (permalink)

Tested out the voltage on it, came in at 12.4.
Brought it in for alternator replacement. All is well now.

Kind of dis-heartingly to have 2 alternators go out within a year. Ah well, live and learn.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:13   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Glad to hear you got it straight now.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum