Focus 2.0 Air deflector - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2004, 07:21   #1 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Focus 2.0 Air deflector

Hey all,

I was wondering exactly why the 2.0 Auto has that air deflector built into the front of the engine which sucks air up through the grille. I have been considering whacking it on as an increase to the stock unit which really doesn't do itself and favours with that stupid leaf (air) deflector. I have heard it isn't expensive and I guess I'll ask at work, but would any body know why it's only fitted to the 2.0 autos and not the manuals? Again I'll check this at work tomorrow, it's only a brainwave I've had tonight... as you can tell I'm bored. But if it only costs $20 then I'm all for it.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/onfocus/...rdeflector.htm

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 10:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: Focus 2.0 Air deflector

matt, I have whacked it on my 1.8. I can't say that there is any real increase in hp terms because I haven't dyno'd it or anything, but subjectively, I think it makes a slight improvement in terms of getting good air into the car. The car also seems to rev smoother across the rpm range and doesn't get as bogged down.

When I first whacked it on, I unintentionally wheelspun the car a couple of times. Also, I think it may help with your problem of the car's engine going to crap when the engine is hot. Looking at the front grill, some of the air will be coming off the radiator, but it'll be a damn sight cooler than the air from the engine bay on a hot day, that's all I can say.

This is a really popular mod with the UK people (see www.ffoc.co.uk). Their theory is that the deflector is like this on the 2.0l auto coz it needs more air to get good performance out of it. Cheap as chips too! Can't remember how much I paid for it, but I think you can get it as a spare for around $20.

Another way to improve airflow is to stick a bit of additional plastic just under the deflector and in front of the radiator, so it scoops air into the deflector before it hits the radiator. That'll give you a little bit more cool air to play with (but a little less cool air hitting the radiotor). Whack the deflector and a good panel filter on, reset the ECU and give it a go! It'll be interesting to see how the 2.0 l zetecs respond.
slaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:24   #3 (permalink)
Zetec Is Better Than VTEC

Where can u get one of these matt?

Currnet Mods - Custom 2 1/4" Cat-Back Exhaust System, ST170 Clear Side Indicators, King Spring Super Lows, Air Delector, Fully Sik P Plates and FPR Stickers, Ford Seat Covers.

Comming Soon Mods - K&N Pannel Filter, 17" HR Racing 158 Rims.
Projekt`[J] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:31   #4 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Ford Spare parts considering it's a Ford factory part... sounds like a bloody good idea if it's only $20 retail and who knows what I pay as an employee, but it should go some way to making a difference... sweet. I am definitely 100% getting the zorst nowm already got the K&N and I'll be laughing if this only costs $20. Sounds right coz they say on ffoc.co.uk that it costs 8 pounds there which is about $20. Amazing what they could have done to the Zetec to make it go just a little harder... I'll make mine the ultimate "the way it should be from factory" Zetec until it kills me.

Old 04-27-2004, 18:19   #5 (permalink)
Linux User

What about insurance...... Thank link you posted says it will affect it because it is an engine modification?

Eibach Pro Kit, 2 1/4" Cat back exhaust, Tinted, K+N panel filter, Zetec mats

Leather/Aluminium Gear knob & handbrake cover, ST170 indicators

brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:58   #6 (permalink)
Zetec Is Better Than VTEC

LOL @ insurance my cat back (illegally loud) zorst is only costin me $6 extra a year full comp so i dont that the deflector will make a massive difference.
But i could be wrong?

Currnet Mods - Custom 2 1/4" Cat-Back Exhaust System, ST170 Clear Side Indicators, King Spring Super Lows, Air Delector, Fully Sik P Plates and FPR Stickers, Ford Seat Covers.

Comming Soon Mods - K&N Pannel Filter, 17" HR Racing 158 Rims.
Projekt`[J] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 22:34   #7 (permalink)

It's an official ford factory spare part, so highly unlikely to be noticed. It's not like a bloody great big black box like the BMC that any man and his donkey would notice. I thought it was worth the risk to do the mod anyway.
slaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:14   #8 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

I agree with slaine and that's my reasoning behind doing it.

Old 06-13-2004, 14:26   #9 (permalink)
v-power diesel

I tried it with a BMC air filter and works very well...with iv gear at 3000 rpm the max torque seams to return again !!!
fofoforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 18:30   #10 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Welcome to the forums fofoforever :)

Be interesting to have a diesel focus on here .... good to see some info there, do you have any more info on how you did it etc ?

Chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum

« Wheels | red gauges »