Focus power steering pump problems? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 07:58   #1 (permalink)

Question Focus power steering pump problems?

I have a 2007 Focus S. I bought it new at the dealership, and have had problems with loss of power steering fluid, and PS pump problems, since I purchased it. The PS pump has been replaced before, by the dealership, less than 6 months ago, but do to the amount of driving I do I have exceeded the mileage limit on the warranty of the car and pump.

I am wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with there Focus, and what they have done to fix this issue.
sterlingka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 12:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Focus power steering pump problems?

There's definately a leak somewhere, fluid doesn't just disappear.

Clean everything up and look for leaks.
RockThePylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 20:33   #3 (permalink)

confused Re: Focus power steering pump problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingka View Post
I have a 2007 Focus S. I bought it new at the dealership, and have had problems with loss of power steering fluid, and PS pump problems, since I purchased it. The PS pump has been replaced before, by the dealership, less than 6 months ago, but do to the amount of driving I do I have exceeded the mileage limit on the warranty of the car and pump.

I am wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with there Focus, and what they have done to fix this issue.
I have also had the same problems. I have a constant whining noise coming from the pump. I have had it replaced twice and the dealer won't admit there is another problem. Sometimes power steering goes out completley and then comes right back. I think there is a pinched line somewhere. Is there anyone else with these problems???
max_toney87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:56   #4 (permalink)

Re: Focus pump problems?

hi, I have a ford focus TDCI and it doesnt work!!! It stoped when I was driving in the traffic jam and I couldnt start it again. It tries to start but it actually doesnt. When I used this spray than it worked for a bit. I thought it might be a problem with a bad fuel so i wanted to change it and I had problem to get it out. I dont know what to do... please help
thanx
focusik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:25   #5 (permalink)

I have an 08 Focus and have had power steering fluid loss for over a year now and put Lucas in and it stopped for awhile and now is losing again. Now it is growling and I put fluid in and am to the point of replacing pump. Not only is the power steering weak but I also had a front end alignment done before 20,000 miles and continue to have to. This is done at the dealerships and no one has offered solution to front end suspension weakness. Ridiculously ruins tires way too fast, even with rotation. Anybody else have front end problems?
melanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:28   #6 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Wow, a lot of P/S problems hey.

Well lets start off with what our first member is saying;

Chances are some Ford guy got lazy putting your new one on and didn't tighten the high pressure line enough, and just that little leak, is putting bubbles into the system and causing a high pitch noise.

I would try to first find the leak, and then figure out what needs to be done to fix it.

I just put a brand new one on my Focus Zetec, and it whined a little while still working the bubbles out, but after about 50 miles the bubbles worked themselves out, and she is now quit, and running good.

max_toney87If you power steering is whining and sometimes completely cutting off, then I would suggest looking around for a line that looks pinched, even check the connection to the actual steering rack, some of the newer focus's have been know to be made with the lines not being totally tightened from factory, But at this point it does seem with it cutting off, and whining, that you will probably want to replace the P/S pump.

melanderson:

You say you are losing fluid? Have you found a leak, or is the P/S pump or rack believed to be eating it?

For anyone who is going to change their P/S pump, here is a How-to from our "How-to directory".
http://www.fordforums.com/f756/how-p...5/#post1358364

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum