Focus Problem-shaking and feels like it is going to stall. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 21:28   #1 (permalink)
MMB

Focus Problem-shaking and feels like it is going to stall.

Hi there,

I've own a FF 2000 Sedan for 5 years now and all has been fine until now. For the last 2 months, the car has been shaking and feeling like it is going to stall but never does. I would then push on the gas slowly and it will eventually work great. It does this mostly when I start it (cold or warm start) and sometimes at a red light or stop sign. It would be fine for two days and then the problem would start again. If you are outside the car listening to it while it does this the exhaust sounds are for lack of a better word going...put put put.... :-)

So far the dealership has done the following:
1. Replace fuel pump that was on recall.
2. "hooked it up to the computer" and found nothing
3. checked the catalic converter to see if it was sticking-its not when they checked.
4. Changed the spark plugs.

Basically they are telling me because it doesnt happen all the time its hard for them to figure it out and i should bring it in while the car is doing it but as ive described above that is next to impossible. Also, they told me to drive it until it dies, so then they will know for sure what the issue is. Great sounds like good advice! ha. Has anyone had this same problem with their Focus??
MMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 12:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Focus Problem-shaking and feels like it is going to stall.

A bunch of people I know on another forum have experienced the DPFE Sensor going out. I wrote an article up on how to diagnose and fix DPFE problems:

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80

It could also be the 3 little wires going into the front of the coil pack. Those wires tend to get brittle from the heat of the header and radiator. They start to crack and corrode, leading to a bad ignition signal to the coilpack. That results in weak sparks and/or frequent misfires
ax0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:58   #3 (permalink)

Re: Focus Problem-shaking and feels like it is going to stall.

Hello there - I'm in Northampton, UK, and my 2002 Focus 1.8 tdci 115 (70k miles) has an 'engine shaking' problem. In fact, it has many many problems at the moment! (I'm just about to put a seperate post on about this - the car is a disaster!)

The shaking engine thing has happened a few times in the last week.
1st time was after driving about 10 miles, speeds of up to 70mph, and sitting in a traffic queue, the engine vibrates; I can feel it through the steering wheel too. If I rev the engine, it keeps shaking, as if it's only firing on 3 cylinders. I pulled off to a side road, turned the engine off, restarted it, and it was ok.

2nd time was from a 'cold' start up. It did the same thing. I knew I couldn't really drive it like that, so I re-started the engine again, and it was ok.

If anyone reading this can offer me help, either on this problem, or the 'Please help' post I'm about to write about the other problems (there are several!!), I'd be most grateful.

Best wishes,

Jon
jonendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum