Ford Forums banner

Focus TDCi(2003)115PS - Grinding Noise = clutch ?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  the_hank 
#1 ·
Hoping someone can help here.

As title, I have a 2003 TDCi (1.8 115PS) with 120k miles.

The engine has been getting more noisy over the last couple of months - nothing specific just generally more of a 'rattle' - sounds more like vibration than anything else.

However - couple of days ago (in very cold temps here, night time about -10c) I started noticing more of a metallic 'grinding' noise when starting - but mainly put this down to the cold - as it only ever happened at ignition, and only when starting cold.

Last night problem got worse. I get a slight grinding sound when depressing clutch (particularly if still left in gear) - it starts at nothing, and the longer the clutch is left in the grinding starts and gets progressively worse until I release the clutch.

Interestingly - if I leave the gearbox in nuetral and depress the clutch, I don't get noise.

It sounds as though it is gears / clutch related.

Trouble is, over Christmas here, I can't get anyone to look at it until the new year (garages are stretched to breaking point in this weather).

Is the car safe to drive in the meantime ? - I need possible emergency access to a vehicle, and the ability to go a few miles (20 miles max). We live in rural area, no access to public transport etc. Obviosuly I would prefer not to take it out and risk further damage, but needs may arise where we have no choice.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

W

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.