Focus TDCI Engine knocking on start up! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 08:45   #1 (permalink)

Focus TDCI Engine knocking on start up!

hello i have a Ford Focus TDCI Zetec 115Bhp 2002 covered 70kmiles experiencing starting problems,
the engine will shake violently and miss a bit when i start the car it will start eventually on the 2nd attempt (is a bit smoky) some times its worse than others, it drives fine however will occasionally miss when it tries to go into the turbo at 2k revvs with loads of black smoke! this soon clears up and it drives like normal

i've had both belts changed new glow plugs a service and the engine mount replaced but to no avail! please help!

Cheers
Rob
muscleCAR00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 11:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Focus TDCI Engine knocking on start up!

Exhaust Gas Recurculation (EGR) valve.

Its a known issue and cars up to 03/02 had an EGR valve fitted that sticks open, causing starting problems and black smoke. Ford have a TSB about it.

Details here Back Room: Focus TDCi smoke problems

To test if this is the cause, pull off the vacuum hose to the EGR valve (its on the inlet manifold) and stick a 5mm or so bolt in the end of the hose to seal it, then drive it.

If the smoke is gone then there's your problem.
CalEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:35   #3 (permalink)

the smoke isn't really the problem as its only been smokey twice in the 8k miles i've had the car, the main problem is the knocking on start up

anyway i took the car 2 a garage and he said the knocking is caused by a spring not working properly in the clutch, wen the engine is turning over its banging against it, wen he put a spanner on the timing belt crank it was stiff 2turn and wen starting the car the timing belt crank was moving backwards and forwards while banging and making a terrible racket
it seems 2 help if i put my foot on the clutch and start the car,
does this sound like bullshit? sorry about the vocabulary i'm not a machinic

cheers Rob
Old 03-27-2007, 16:39   #4 (permalink)

Could be a flywheel problem.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:35   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtech.
Could be a flywheel problem.
Agreed. The knocking/rattle on startup is the dual mass flywheel rattling. They wear and the damping springs get soft, allowing excessive movement & rattle.

As they're expensive its best to live with it and start with the clutch down

See this thread TDCI noise when starting..Please help
Old 03-29-2007, 03:00   #6 (permalink)

yes it is bloody expensive u have 2 take the gearbox out so u might as well replace the clutch plates, i've been quoted around £600 apparently a commen problem with these!

Do u think that if u tighten the auxiliry drive belt tensioners it may cure it a bit or a new battery?

If i leave it i'll never be able 2 sell the car whos goin 2 wanna buy it, will it cause much more damage maybe 2 the startor motor?

cheers for all your help people
Old 03-29-2007, 15:07   #7 (permalink)

You'll have a job tightening the accessory drive belt tensioner as it's automatic; if the clutch is otherwise ok ie no slip or drag, save your money, look around for a cheaper flywheel and get a smaller garage to fit it. Like you say, who will buy it like that? 'Bite the bullet' time.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:00   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleCAR00001
yes it is bloody expensive u have 2 take the gearbox out so u might as well replace the clutch plates, i've been quoted around £600 apparently a commen problem with these!

Do u think that if u tighten the auxiliry drive belt tensioners it may cure it a bit or a new battery?

If i leave it i'll never be able 2 sell the car whos goin 2 wanna buy it, will it cause much more damage maybe 2 the startor motor?

cheers for all your help people
Well, erm yes!! Wait until the clutch wears and then fit a new flywheel & clutch... or even a solid flywheel if available (the 90ps Tdi has a solid flywheel IIRC).

The auxiliary tensioner goes slack pretty fast on these engines, so a new one won't hurt (I know mine needs one at 75K miles) and this will help reduce the rattle noise as the flywheel rattle sets the slack tensioner rattling as well... makes a real racket! You can tell if your tensioner is slack when you turn the engine off. If you hear a loud rattle from the driver's side (window open near a wall works well) then that's the tensioner... but they all do it a bit, its just when it gets really noisy!

It won't cause any damage to the starter as the resonance problem is approx 450rpm and the starter only goes to 250rpm so is disengaged when it occurs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum