Focus for use as highway transport - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 15:15   #1 (permalink)

Focus for use as highway transport

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new car atm and it would seem I'm getting some BS from various dealers (oh surprise!) so now I don't know what to believe.

What I'm after is a car that will be predominantly used (90%) for travel on Aussie freeways (110km/hr). I also want to keep the car as a long term purchase.

A focus would do fine sizewise, and I was all set on it until I started hearing suggestions that using a 4cyl car in that way would just thrash it to death and I'd be better off with a 6cyl. But the ford guy says it's designed for the European motorways and would be fine.

I guess the logic makes sense - more power at lower revs = less strain on the engine. But is it true! Any opinions?
aaGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 00:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: Focus for use as highway transport

for hyway use go for the 6 cyl falcon.It will use not much more fuel than the 4 on the hyway speeds plus long wheelbase equals smooth ride, less noise.

i have a 6cyl ef futura and i get 750 ks out of the 67 liter tank on the hyway. a 4cyl wiil not be much better than 6.5 liters to 100ks. for the sake off saving 2 bucks per 100 ks with the 4 cyl you will forfiet the power and comfort of the falcon.

I guess the logic makes sense - more power at lower revs = less strain on the engine. But is it true!

Yes!
fastfalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:52   #3 (permalink)

Re: Focus for use as highway transport

The Focus will do just fine, and will use about 30% less fuel than a Falcon. And it should be worth something when you come to sell it!.

I drove a 1.6l Focus in England 3 years ago. It averaged just under 40 mpg in mixed city (London!) and motorway driving (80-90 mph). Great little car.
BA_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum