Ford Forums banner

Ford Focus 30K Recommended Service: $489.95?

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Zetec 
#1 ·
Hiya,
My 2003 Ford Focus ZTW Station Wagon currently has 28.3k miles on it. Looking at the Ford "Recommended Service" schedule, at 30k miles, it will need? quite a few things done to it.
I called my 'Friendly?' local Ford dealer to inquire as to how much this 'service' was going to cost...$489.95!
When I squawked about the cost, they warned me that unless the 'recommended service' was done, it would void my warranty. I think that this is extortion! Almost $500.00 for an oil change, tire rotation, fuel filter change and various inspections? The car would have only 30,000 miles on it!!!!!!!!
In the manual, a footnote states that in CA (where I live) , the fuel filter must be replaced at 30k intervals or it will void the emissions warranty.
I took the car in for an oil change at 28K. The Service advisor asked if I wanted the 30k service done...I told him no...just replace the Fuel Filter and change the oil and rotate the tires. I got the car back with out the Fuel Filter changed, but they did change the oil and rotate the tires.
When I asked about the fuel filter, I was told "That's part of the 30k recommended service, and that will be done when you bring the car in for that service". Again. I was warned about not having the 'recommended service' done and that resulting in voiding my warranty. Then, the service advisor mentioned that it would be okay to wait for the next oil change ( at 33k miles) for the 30K service...Gee, what a guy, he said "I'll take care of you on that"..what a pal!
One other thing, my Focus has an automatic transmission...is there anywhere on the car that it will tell me which transmission I have? Some of the different AT's require that the fluid be changed at 30k.
I understand that the Ford dealer's "Service Advisors " are just salesman...earning a commision on whatever they sell the hapless customer. I am going to call Ford's Customer Relations Department next week about this fiasco...if they back up the S.A.'s claims about voiding the warranty, this will be the last Ford that I ever buy!
Has anyone else out there had any experience with challenging their 'recommended service' ? If so, please inform me of your experience...Thank You...burnemup

See less See more
#2 ·
That does not sound right at all. I work at a Ford dealer and I will ask my service guy what the normal charge is and does it really void the warranty, I dont think so. Our service department has gone home tonite and I am off tesday so I will ask wednesday when I come in and let yo know what I found.

#3 ·
Any manufacturer has full rights to void your warranty if you don't service your car properly according to manufacturer specifications. What they don't tell you is it is illegal for them to void it if you take it to a non-Ford Dealer. As long as your car is serviced by a registered mechanic in a licensed garage and all the boxes are ticked in your Ford manual, then Ford is required by law to honour your warranty. So tell them to stick it up their arse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.