Ford Focus mk2 2.0 TDCi - oil selection - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 17:54   #1 (permalink)

Ford Focus mk2 2.0 TDCi - oil selection

Hello my friends! I recently bought a Ford Focus mk2 2.0 TDCi 2006y. with 100.000 km.
This is my first Ford, so i need some help. Could you suggest me a nice oil? They offer me original Ford oil, but i'm not sure if it is original (because i'm from Bulgaria) and Castrol. There is a great variety, so please tell me which is the best for my engine? P.S Could you explain the difference between 0W, 5W, 10W, 30, 40, 60? Thank you very much!!!
Magnatec 5W-40
Magnatec Diesel 5W-40 B4
Magnatec Diesel 10W-40 B3
Edge 5W-30
Edge TD 5W-40
Edge 10W-60
Edge 0W-30
Edge 0W-40 A3/B4
Edge 5W-40
antonio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Ford Focus mk2 2.0 TDCi - oil selection

I would suggest a premium brand of 5w20 or 5w30. Motorcraft and Castrol are both good oils. The other brands you've mentioned, I've never heard of.

5w20 for example, will perform like a SAE 5 weight motor oil at 0 degrees F, and like a SAE 20 weight oil at 210F. To put it in simple terms, the colder it gets, the thinner the oil will act to allow better flow.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 20:22   #3 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
To put it in simple terms, the colder it gets, the thinner the oil will act to allow better flow.

Don't you mean the hotter the oil gets the better it will flow? Or is what your saying applying to SAE oil's?

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.

Last edited by djzx3; 05-24-2012 at 20:37. Reason: correction.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 20:49   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

No. Multi viscosity is engineered to flow thinner when cold and flow thicker as the engine warms. They use a temperature scale of 0 degrees F to 210 degrees F to figure the low/high numbers.

A 10w30 oil is engineered to flow at the rate of a 10w oil at 0-F and 30w at 210-F (normal operating temp)

edit- forgot to throw this in, SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers
Old 05-24-2012, 21:47   #5 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Ok, looks like I need to hit up the oil information.

It would be a good idea, I think I need to bump my Zetec's oil weight up to 5w-30 full synthetic. When it gets hot(210F) the oil is thinning out too much, almost down to 5-8PSI, I need to do the oil pump soon, but it has 164k on it, I think bumping my oil would be a good idea?

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
Old 05-24-2012, 22:13   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Before you throw an oil pump in it, might want to pill a main cap or two and have a look at the bearings. Worn bearings will also wreck havoc on your oil pressure, especially hot at idle. I don't know how many old Chevy's I've worked on that would hold 45-60 psi cold and around 10psi hot. 9 time out of 10 it was the bearings. By bearings I mean rod, main and cam.
Old 05-24-2012, 22:56   #7 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Well on my Zetec I replaced the connecting rods/bearings/wrist pins/pistons, and all rings, although I didn't check my crankshaft main bearings, I wouldn't rule out the cams/mains being worn. But I got future plans for the head of my Zetec.

If anything, just to get it by until then^, I'll take the valve cover off, and make sure they are torqued to spec.

But I say my oil pump, because I've been hearing it make noise for a while now, and lately it has been showing it on my aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum