help with shudder on 2008 focus SES - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 16:11   #1 (permalink)

help with shudder on 2008 focus SES

i am looking for help with a problem on my automatic 2008 focus SES (~125K). when driving 80 - 90 kph and accelerating gently out of a corner or up a hill a significant shudder occurs occasionally from the front end. ive never had the shudder happen when im applying a significant amount of gas, like when passing. the shudder lasts ~1 sec, and either goes away on its own or when i release the gas pedal. when i try more gas during the shudder it usually gets worse and goes away when i release the gas. when ive been able to take my eyes off the road ive seen the tach either stuck at ~2000 rpm or very slowly increasing, and jump to ~3000 rpm when the shudder ends on its own. also, the TCS light by the tach starts flashing during the shudder. ive tried turning off the TCS, but the shudder still happens. the TCS light flashing seems significant to me, but i havent been able to find this symptom, or the problem in general, on the inet. the dealership couldnt reproduce the problem, so they couldnt do anything about it.

any suggestion would be appreciated, even if it just pointed to where i could ask the dealership to look at.
stepnrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 02:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: help with shudder on 2008 focus SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepnrazor View Post
any suggestion would be appreciated, even if it just pointed to where i could ask the dealership to look at.
Might be the problem lies in front disk rotors, high pressure hose on power steering, wheel sensors, strut and/or in the torque converter in transmission. Check these things are working correctly.
Jeff Collision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:15   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Take it you have checked ATF level ?
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 14:21   #4 (permalink)

i dont have much more than high school autoshop, but i did check the transmission fluid, and it appeared clear, red and smelled somewhat sweet, which is what i read i should look for, and was also topped up.
Old 10-09-2013, 14:36   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

No stored codes when scanned ?
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Considering the TCS light is flashing then I am thinking it may be in that area. If the ECU is sensing there is traction loss then it may be cutting engine power and giving the shuddering. There could be a problem with a wheel sensor but you need a scan for codes really.
Old 10-09-2013, 21:41   #7 (permalink)

when i took the car in i described the symptoms. the service rep said they drove it for an hour and couldnt reproduce the shudder (it is intermittent), and charged me $100 for that. im pretty sure they said they checked for any codes and didnt find any, but i will call them to confirm it, and see if they checked for issues with the other parts that were suggested.

thanks for the responses, and any more suggestions are appreciated, but i get the feeling something definitive will have to happen before i know what the problem is, or was. this may just be impetus to move up to a F-150 so i dont bang my head on the roof anymore when getting in and out. thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum