HELP- st170 with flickering dash lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2004, 02:46   #1 (permalink)

HELP- st170 with flickering dash lights

Hey gang I have a 6 month old st170. It has an issue with the special st170 dash. When illuminated with the parkers or headlights on it has an intermittant flicker where the whole dash lights go out for half a second and then come back on.

This is proving to be very annoying as it is totally random and not subject to road shocks or increased powerloading on the car by indicators ect. When cruising at night it becomes so annoying it takes away from an otherwise balltearer of a machine!!!

I have had it back to ford about 10 times and they have swapped multiple switch assemblies in with no success. The dc to ac converter has been swapped (part of the oil guage assembly) and have also swapped the cluster itself. I am ready to string up the dealer as they have an attitude of it being fords problem and not theirs as if selling me the car makes them any less liable for not checking the car as part of their $1250 dealer delivery charge!!

Please Help me I cant be the only one with this problem!!! Need suggestions.
wilawok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 03:32   #2 (permalink)
Anger is my Friend

Re: HELP- st170 with flickering dash lights

Hmm i dont know of problems like that... Is it just the lights or do the gauges drop off aswell? If it is the lights it will only be a loose cable, even if it isnt happening on bumps.

Ok heres the plan.... We go down to your ford dealership with base ball bats, extendable batons and sliege hammers and ask them nicely to fix the problem or give you a brand new st170. (And if it works into it me one aswell!)

What do you guys think?
Russ
Mongoose Security, 12 Inch Xpolde Sub + Box, 800 watt Monoblock Xplod Amp, Nokia 7250i inbuild carkit, 20% Window tints Dropped 42mm on Peddlers Sports Springs with 18x7.5 LENSO 'Concept Five' rims rolling on 35mm of Falken Rubber. Black Altezza Style rear light

ST170 Side repeaters and fog to reverse light!
WASACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:00   #3 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Yep thats normal .. all the ST's do that at some point, its just a feature of the car, most of the ones you read about in the UK have the same issue, nothing can be done to fix it, its just there

Chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:31   #4 (permalink)
Anger is my Friend

Hmm i still like my idea....

Or maybe have you tried fixing it yourself? What you have to do it take a running leap and kick the console...If this problem persists Repeat.

My solution to fix just about anything!
Russ
Mongoose Security, 12 Inch Xpolde Sub + Box, 800 watt Monoblock Xplod Amp, Nokia 7250i inbuild carkit, 20% Window tints Dropped 42mm on Peddlers Sports Springs with 18x7.5 LENSO 'Concept Five' rims rolling on 35mm of Falken Rubber. Black Altezza Style rear light

Old 10-15-2004, 20:28   #5 (permalink)

it is just the dash lights........... thanks wascal they are already shit scared cause I am 6 foot 3 and my mrs is a lawyer and it is her daily driver!!

You're kidding arent you fordel?? there is no fix?? My car has done this since the day we got it........ so it isnt a case of worn components...

I find it hard to accept the that's how they go answer as there are thousands of corolla's out there with the same dash technology that work perfectly.

As mentioned before it is a great drive and really moves with that 6 speed gearbox, but there has to be a reason for the dash issue..
wilawok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 20:58   #6 (permalink)

if Ford arent helping you out get their permission to take it to an auto electrician of your choice at their cost and see what they can dig up for you on the issue, maybe your Ford dealer just isnt looking in the right place becasue they are looking for an easy fix?

www.eurofordclub.com
www.wrc.com
www.greatsouthernsuper.com.au
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 14:22   #7 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

nup, from what i have read there isnt a fix for it at all... mine do it every now and then, as well as sometimes when i turn the lights on, i lose all dash lights bar the needles... the effect looks pretty cool tho :)
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 15:00   #8 (permalink)
ST170ish

I reckon its got something to do with the dash lights fader, coz when I play with mine it flickers for a while then it settles.
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 15:27   #9 (permalink)

Hiya, i seem to be having the same problem, but i have a cure for it as i found some information on another web-site regarding the same problem.
The solution is this: Use the dimmer control and do not put it on maximum, place it approx 3/4. The dash lights will be bright enough, and the flickering will stop completly.

I think it has something to do with power related as, the dash lights are sucking too much power. Dimming them helps the vehicle module as it is gradually taking the power. I think.........

Give it a go..........it works !!!

Kind Regards,

Vince
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 23:26   #10 (permalink)
Anger is my Friend

Guys i know this mine sound alittle stupid cause you already have it setup but why dont you get a custom set that wont stuff up the way the stockies do???

Best place i know of it is www.speedhut.com

It is a US company but they are the best at wat they do.
I was going to be getting a set from here pretty soonish.
Check it out and see the different customisations

Russ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum