How long should I expect a 2007 ZX4 engine to last? Should I buy it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 15:04   #1 (permalink)

How long should I expect a 2007 ZX4 engine to last? Should I buy it?

I am looking at a 2007 Focus ZX4 to buy. It has 60K miles. I'm wondering how many miles should I expect its engine to last (It is 2.0L I4 FI DOHC). It is probably good for now, but how good will it be when it reaches 100K in a few years. And can I expect to resell it at a reasonable price once it is close to or above 100K miles. (They are asking $5800 now)
goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 11:20   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: How long should I expect a 2007 ZX4 engine to last? Should I buy it?

If you plan to keep a $5800 car for three years or more, I wouldn't worry too much about resale value. I'd be more concerned with how it was driven for the first 60K. If the current owner can prove that regular maintenance was performed on schedule then it should easily last close to the 150K mark. Ford makes some of the best engines on the market. The only real downside is that they'll consume slightly more fuel than comparable engines. Keep up with the maintenance and treat the vehicle right, and you'll be treated right in return with a rather reliable vehicle. Keep in mind that it's man-made, and might cost you a tow eventually, for say a fuel pump, alternator, or something else that you really can't forsee; but the same can be said for any vehicle.

Now, if the current owner is unsure of the maintenance history and has very few records of when maintenance was performed, you can easily haggle with the price.

Example:
No maintenance records at 60K: Asking $5800

Coolant flush and fill - $85
Oil Change - $30
Transmission service - $85
If tires are original and nearing the wear bars, estimate an amount - $200

Don't forget to add anything else you can think of, such as tear on the seat, or cigarette burn on the dash, etc. Use what you can to your advantage. There are a lot of Focuses on the market so if they're serious about selling it when you bring these things to their attention they'll have to take it into consideration, or you just tell them you'll look elsewhere.

asking price - $5800
- $400 toward maintenance costs
your offer - $5400 approx.

Resale value in 2012 with 120K - approx $2700-3500 if kept in pristine condition
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum