I want to upgrade my 08 focus!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 19:41   #1 (permalink)

I want to upgrade my 08 focus!!!

Does anyone know where in San Diego, CA. A trustworthy place that I can get my ford focus upgraded at? I really want to get 6 cylinders under her hood and play with her and make her nice.
nicoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 22:09   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: I want to upgrade my 08 focus!!!

Hi and welcome. Are you wanting to upgrade your Focus to a newer model or are you planning to put a 6 cylinder engine in yours?.

If you are putting a 6 into yours then it sounds like quite a project.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Welcome to the forums .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 19:59   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Ford View Post
Hi and welcome. Are you wanting to upgrade your Focus to a newer model or are you planning to put a 6 cylinder engine in yours?.

If you are putting a 6 into yours then it sounds like quite a project.
Yes I want to put 6 cylinder in it but I don't know where to go in San Diego to get it done.
nicoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:34   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

You can get great performance without fitting a 6cyl engine by fitting something like this Race Engines
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 13:21   #6 (permalink)
canuck

Welcome!

Keep in mind it's best to check with your insurance FIRST. If you get into a crash, regardless of who's at fault, insurance might nullify your policy if they're not aware of any modifications. Especially if you go to your insurer and they see "race" on any of the work invoices, you'll knowingly have to start shopping around. Get quotes from everyone except your current insurance provider, and then approach your current insurer to see what they have to say as you might be able to negotiate a rate, if they'll accept the alterations.

Second, there are plenty of engine options out there. Keep in mind as auto manufacturers are going Global, engines aren't necessarily vehicle specific anymore. Squeezing in a 2.4-2.5L I4 is one thing, but mounting a V6 transversely, getting the transmission mounted, and axles to line up level without giving you gobs of torque steer, is another.

Lastly, to be frank, if you cannot handle a job such as this yourself (75% of the work load), you'll be looking into the five figure mark to get a conversion done to a V6, much less for a larger 4 cylinder depending on the vehicle it came out of as it will simplify things to get the engine mounts to mount up. There is a 2.5L V6, but the HP it offers there are better same displacement I4's out there. Going with a 3.0L 24V will be a tight fit. Suspension changes, and changes to the body will have to be made to accommodate it. Manual transmissions are generally more compact, so if you have an automatic now, it's something that might not be available going with a V6.

The 3.0L 2V V6 and 4 speed automatic in my old '99 Taurus is wide and takes up the width of the engine compartment. In your case, you will knowingly have to relocate the battery to an alternate location (trunk), among other things.

I will commend you for doing a project like this, as it will be rather unique! Finding a custom auto shop that will take it on shouldn't be much of an issue. The issue, will be the overall cost as it will be double if not quadruple what the vehicle is currently worth.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:28   #7 (permalink)

From 2000 - 2011 (North America), the Ford Focus used the C170 chassis.

Here is a V6 SVT Contour engine in a 2003 Ford Focus

What you are talking about has been done before on your car's current platform. If you are going to do a V6, this is the V6 to install.
pyroinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 21:54   #8 (permalink)

Yes, there is I shop near there owned by a man named Mike Brown. He can slip a 120 kilowatt motor in there for ya. Just bring with you a bell housing adapter plate. Make sure you clear the trunk out before you show up.
Focuselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum