Ford Forums banner

Key won't turn on 04' ZTS

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  buffee 
#1 ·
Has this issue been adressed by Ford and is it listed as a recall item? I cannot turn the key in the ignition and the steering wheel lock won't help either. Can anyone help??? Ahhhh!!!!

#2 ·
Common problem and Ford will do nothing about this for free. Best advice, lube with
WD40, work the key in and out quickly about 20 times and see if it turns. If not lube another shot and repeat. If you ar lucky enough to get it to turn, DON'T TURN IT BACK TO OFF COMPLETELY. Get it to a locksmith with a walk in shop and let them fix it. If you can't get it to turn, don't be surprised to pay two or three hundred smacks to get it repaired. If you can't get it to turn, post back and I'll give one more tip that may work for you.
Good luck!

#3 ·
You are one of several thousand victims of one of the most egregious instances of lack of customer support in corporate history.

See Ford Focus Ignition Cylinder Recall Petition

For now, leave the key in the cylinder, tap it gently with a hammer (straight in towards the wheel shaft). WD40 spray using the needle-nose applicator may help. If you can get it started, don't remove the key once you turn it off, because it will never turn again until replaced.

Don't expect Ford to do a thing about your problem other than charge you hundreds of dollars to fix it. Carefully consider their attitude in this issue next time you're even remotely thinking about purchasing a Ford product.

#4 ·
OMG...27,000 on my 2004 Z3, first the transmission & now I have to deal with this DAMN locking steering wheel.
Good God, I have a fully alarmed car, why in the &^%$ do I need a locking steering wheel. I have spent hours during the last 6 months trying to start the car, eventually it will start--but this is absurd and NOW I find out that FORD knows about it!
I am going to see if I can get a NEW key made & hopefully that helps...but honestly there has to be a way to PERMANTELY UNLOCK that steering wheel. When I worked in the auto industry in the 90's, I had mechanics who could do anything, defeat was NOT in their vocabulary. There has to be a way to go into that steering wheel & remove the locking mechanism. Anyone ever try?? I do not need this. I have nerve damage to BOTH hands....and its gotten way worse when this happens..it is so frustrating. FORD is going to get an ear full Monday morning.....as if they honestly care.:nothpy::nothpy::nothpy::nothpy:

#5 ·
The problem with the focus is not the steering wheel, but the ignition lock. Most likely, a new key will not solve your problem, but a new ignition lock will. Best to do it now while you can still turn the key. Much, much cheaper than if you wait till you can no longer turn the key.

#6 ·
Well I spoke to FORD this morning(a bunch of fricken losers & liars) they said it is a SAFETY issue.....OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!I hate that company. So I spoke to a few of my mechanic buddies....and I had a very good locksmith come to my house...and change everything out for 195$..no more problems!!!!Its nice to know that FORD doesn't give a damn about their customers. :whoaa::whoaa:

#7 ·
Ford is not the only one, all that aside..... If they wanted to fix this, especially if they did it before the key wouldn't turn at all, their cost in materials would probably be less than $35.00
Customer satisfaction would go a long way. Glad you are back to being trouble free.

#8 ·
well not actually trouble free, just had to spend nearly 1,000 for tranny parts for a car with 27,000---so within the 18 months, the FORD Focus is going! No more Fords--I am however going to call Ford's corporate office & file a complaint--I know it won't do any good because they don't care, but it will make me feel better:BW:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.