New Focus 2010_SES - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 12:08   #1 (permalink)

New Focus 2010_SES

I got this new Focus for my wife two moths ago. We purchased this vehicle because its price is cheaper than a new Honda Civic, and also the seats are far more comfortable than the Civic ones.
Recently, the vehicle is in the service shop for more than twice because the sunroof problem, and other thing relate.
At first, we thought this vehicle was a Friday car, but it's totally not. We actually went back to the same dealership to look at other cars, and eventually we even went to other dealers to look at those new cars too. We found they are all have similar problems.
The problems we have are the sunroof molding, sunroof glass and the trunk, accessory assembly issues. When the people at Ford factory installed the sunroof, they did not install it evenly that cause the water leaks through the sunroof into the vehicle. The molding that holds the headliner and the body frame of the sunroof don't stay fit because the headliner is misalignment with the sunroof body frame, and it became deformed and defective. In the trunk overhead panel, workers at Ford factory dripped the painting through holes those create sharp dried needles those actually punched badly on my hand while I was loading some packages into the vehicle. And after all, there are some scratches at some areas around and inside of the vehicle.
The problems I believe, they come from the workmanship and the QC department. They need to have a system that it can control the quality from those defective components, and those who work on them.
These problems I believe, they need to be addressed critically and directly with someone importance at Ford. With only myself, there would not be much help if there would be more than one.
For me, this Focus has a great design, but it's still a milestone to compare with a Honda Civic. Do you think we need some more improvement here?

Thank you for reading my post.

John
FordMeNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: New Focus 2010_SES

Look in your owners manual on page starting on 215. You should be able to get in contact with a factory rep. Sometimes things happen and if they aren't notified, they don't know there's a problem.
Old 05-08-2010, 17:10   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Best thing to do is to talk to your dealer. If it irks you enough, email Ford and they MIGHT respond in a few months to your 'inquiry'.

Keep in mind that they vehicles are put through a short burst of tests, from high pressure leak test, road holding test and other QC items, just like any other automaker.

Don't forget, you could have spent more on a Civic, and had similar, if not more problems with it as well - don't forget that. Sure, the general rule of thumb is you get what you pay for, but why pay more for similar machinery, as ANYTHING man made will require maintenance, be it now, or down the road, it's inevitable.

I'm also on a Dodge and GM forum for my other vehicles, and trust me, you're not alone with having problems with a new vehicle. Personally, I've never had any problems and I bought my '99 Taurus 'new' as a demo model in '99 at the dealer. It had 42km on it when I bought it, and was obviously out for a few test drives, and I put on another 35km for my test drive alone before I decided on it. For under $20K in SE sedan trim it was one hulluva deal.

I've only ever had one problem with it that was covered under warranty - the drivers seat belt spring needed replacement around 30,000kms, or 20K miles. Now over 210,000kms and no major problems.

Buying new is the only way to go today. Used vehicles are less expensive sure, but their history is unknown. At least now the dealer can fix the bad seal under warranty and it'll be better piece of mind down the road when/if you decide to sell it before it becomes worthless. Keep in mind, the Focus also sits a couple inches higher than the Civic does, which will make quite a difference in an accident with a larger vehicle.

Another story: I had a 1992 Dodge Spirit 2.5L I4 with the 3 speed auto. I put on 420,000kms until I retired it in 2004. I lifted a front wheel off the ground to start a brake job, and went into the basement to get my axle stands. When I came out two minutes later, my hydraulic jack went straight through the rocker panel and into the door. As the frame was shot, I retired it and never did the brake job of course. However, it didn't come without faults. I could count on a new head gasket every 80-85,000kms, and to some folks this would be unacceptable. However, these engines were bad on gaskets, sure, and I do my own work myself unless I need a vehicle lift and for a half day of my time and a $30 gasket, it's good to go for another 80,000kms. It was mostly highway driven and at 65mph the tach was at 3000rpm with only the 3 speed auto. Design flaw? No. It was similar with other vehicles of it's time technology wise. To get that many kms out of the car was great. Cost me less than 7 cents a km including fuel costs during the ownership period with maintenance items. Some people buy a 3-4 year old car with 120,000kms and have ONE problem such as engine light comes on, or it needs new tires due to improper alignment, or shocks are worn out, they think it's a lemon only because the previous owner didn't maintain it properly. People should assume nothing. Unlike with a new vehicle, you just take it to the dealer during the warranty period and hope all the bugs are worked out before the warranty ends and you'll have a pleasant ownership experience for years to come. Irregardless of make or model.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Well said 360ci.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:53   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Thanks Bert. It seems that I've forgotten how to spell some words...terrible!

I find it interesting how people can take hold of such a simple marketing ploy and believe it's true. The Civic is the #1 selling car in Canada, only because they spend the most on marketing, but I'd never buy one, not that I'd get a Focus but the Civic sits too low for me, has next to no ground clearance so driving it to the cottage is out of the question, and as I've began to notice with other manufacturers cars aren't as friendly to drive in the winter due to excessive electronic controls that CUT power when you need it, and the worst one: the tires barely fit in the wheel wells making NO room for any snow buildup and to me that's worse on paint than anything. I'd rather have a layer of snow that stays on when I drive through other snow/slush. After 11 brutal years my Taurus is finally showing some signs of rust. My friends new accord (two years old) the paint is badly faded around the rear wheels and he thinks it'll rust through within two years. Honda only had a 3 year 36K rust through warranty for his vehicle.

Not saying a warranty is a selling point, as that's just another marketing ploy. But what you want to buy for You and YOUR reasons, not what other people are saying what's best because in the end, they're all the same. I need a coffee.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:38   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The spelling doesn't matter. The point was made clearly. That's what counts. You also find some people will buy a car and service it as it should be serviced and then say that it was a better car than the one they had that wasn't serviced. I worked for a Mercedes Benz dealer and found that to be true. The MB was a great car but people always brought them in for service as recommended and their Cadillac or Lincoln was just driven and oil changes only. Guess which one held up the best?
Old 05-09-2010, 18:22   #7 (permalink)
canuck

I've heard of a lot of problems with earlier Continental models, before they were discontinued. I like the body design but two folks that I know that have owned them second hand, have had problems from cooling, to electrical gremlins mostly due to lack of service, and people who buy them, do drive-thru oil changes and as you said, don't get anything else checked regularly which makes a small problem grow so big you end up needing a tow, and five times the dollar value in work perfomed over something that was easily preventable by spending the extra $20 for an oil change AND inspection at the dealer. Of course, the owner would blame the lack of service on the car itself.

It's like when people phone me with their computer problems. I probably say "I told you so" more times a week than I can count, and then I follow it with "...problem exists between keyboard and chair."
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 05-09-2010, 21:22   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Computer problems are often caused by a ID 10 t error.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:42   #9 (permalink)
canuck

Yep. Most of the calls I get, primarily from friends don't know what they're downloading half the time and have allowed a virus of sorts to take over their system, and they blame it on the computer for their lack of intelligence. Very rarely does someone phone me and it turns out to be hardware or MS related glitch. 95% of the time it's user inflicted.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:45   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Have you ever used Teamviewer? It's a free program, easy to use that I've connected to friends and relatives PCs from home and fixed some. I used it to set up a wireless router for my Granddaughters business in Portland.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum