No Focus RS for Aus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 22:01   #1 (permalink)
Mmmm, forbidden donut

Thumbs down No Focus RS for Aus

According to drive.com.au

It has taken two years, but Ford has finally rolled out the production version of the Focus RS. But it is more of a tease than a performance thoroughbred.
Ford says it was inspired by the Focus World Rally Championship racer but the RS drives the front wheels, not all four, as in the rally car.

The RS, due in Europe in October, is powered by a 158kW turbo version of Ford's 2.0-litre Duratec engine – that is, 65 percent more powerful than the standard 2.0. Ford is making much of the new engine's robustness, in response to the UK press running leaked stories about prototypes self-destructing.

Company sources reckon the turbo engine should deliver a top speed of 230kmh and a 0-100kmh time of 6.7 seconds.

To keep the front wheels on the tarmac and pointing ahead, Ford has incorporated an automatic torque-biasing differential. This is aimed at overcoming torque steer, for which high-powered front-drive set-ups are notorious.

Ford says that under hard standing-start acceleration in the wet, the front wheels may spin, but the car will remain straight.

The maker claims 70 percent of the hatch's basic components have been "uprated, re-engineered or completely redesigned".

It sits on 18-inch OZ racing wheels, replicas of the Focus WRC's magnesium wheels, shod with 225/40ZR Michelin Sport Pilot tyres.

Four-piston Brembo brakes at the front, gripping 325mm ventilated discs, stop the RS from 160 kmh in a claimed 4.1 seconds.

Outside, the styling picks up on the WRC car's distinctive lines. The bonnet, tailgate, doors and roof panel are said to be unchanged; the RS's steel quarter panels are welded in place off the production line.

The cabin trim is dominated by alcantara and carbon-fibre (for the centre console) and enlivened by an aluminium handbrake lever, short-throw gear lever, drilled pedals and an engine start button. Climate control air-conditioning and a six-stack CD player are standard. Ford spent "countless hours" with maker Sparco developing the rally-style seats.

Pricing is expected to be on par with, or marginally cheaper than, a standard-issue Subaru WRX – in the UK, at least.

Ford Australia this week confirmed it has no plans to bring the RS here. It will pitch the 127kW Focus ST170 as the performance version instead.
The Mighty XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2002, 22:27   #2 (permalink)

4.1 secs from 160! That's pretty damn fast!
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 22:31   #3 (permalink)

Funny - that was the bit that stood out for me too! Is that even possible? That would be an acceleration of -40kmh/sec or -11m/s/s which is close to 1.2 times the force of gravity! Not bad!

Jase.
Old 07-25-2002, 22:51   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

1.2 Gs decellaration - that would be possible I guess.

Disappointing that the image leader of the range is not going to be brought down under. Hasn't Ford learned from its mistakes yet?

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 23:00   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Not that the ST170 is exactly under-equipped. With a close ratio six speed Getrag box, 17" wheels and tyres, 4 pot vented discs and a Recaro interior PLUS 127kw from a lightweight vehicle - it should be a nice little rocket.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 23:15   #6 (permalink)

wouldn't mind one as a daily driver actually.. cheap to run and with a few little mods, a "little rocket" as you state Russell.
But damn that stopping speed!! I would just be hitting the brakes all the time for that G-Force feel
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 23:28   #7 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunterâ„¢

ST170 as a daily driver would do me nicely actually.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 01:16   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I am only disappointed at single colour choice for ST170 but I am having one anyway. Would look slick in Black!
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 01:21   #9 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

I'd go for a ST170 if I was in a position to be able to buy one
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 01:31   #10 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

A few issues ago in Wheels (I think), they had one of the old hands of rallying giving the RS it's work.. he praised basically every aspect of it, but particularly the brakes... time I dug that article out again..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum