OK, Time to lower the Zetec R - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2004, 04:56   #1 (permalink)

OK, Time to lower the Zetec R

So, after three weeks I have decided it is time to lower the Zetec R. It has been a while since I have lowered a car, so what is the go on lowering springs in the Focus- as in brands to look at, brands to avoid?

I am looking at around a 30-40mm drop, so I can use the stock Zetec shocks.

What springs are out there, and how do they compare with the standard Zetec springs (given they are already a tad lower than CL/LX/Ghia springs, and stiffer).

Thanks in advance

Graham
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2004, 06:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: OK, Time to lower the Zetec R

I haven't lowered mine (Would never get up my driveway) but did look into it and if it was me I be using Eibach. Only lower by about 1.5 inch, fine with the standard shocks, but an absolute icon brand, who have a spring specifically for Focus. Others will recommend different brands (King, H&R) but Eibach for me. Check on FFOC (Ford Focus Owners Club UK) and Focus Fanatics (US) for a wider range of opinions
Manual 2003 Machine Silver 5 Door Zetec. 17" factory alloys. Factory Body Kit. BMC Air Filter. Magnecor wires. Herrod stainless steel cat-back. ST170 Lower Grille. ST170 Fog Lights.ST170 side indicators. ST170 pedals. Darkest tint. Mobil synthetics throughout. Auto Art "Black Magic" taillights. Euro rear wiper. Gas bonnet struts.
melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 16:17   #3 (permalink)
Linux User

Graham, as melbzetec said, go for Eibach. I did and I am not looking back. I got the pro kit (30mm drop) installed about 4 months ago and they are superb. The car looks so much better and turns that bit sharper. Of course, now with the new front skirt, getting in and out of my driveway is a big production, but that's the price you pay! I don't have any trouble going over speed bumps, I just have to make sure I go slowish.

Mine were installed for $700 by Steve Shepherd (He runs a car in the ARC) including wheel alignment afterwards. Plus they are specifically for the focus 2.0.

In terms of how they compare to the stock zetec springs they are much more consistent in their spring rate. Apparently Eibach's (can't speak for any others) are made to a very high quality and consistency, whereas most stock springs have variations. Line 5 new exactly the same cars up and they will all have slightly different ride heights.

Hope that helps

Andrew

Eibach Pro Kit, 2 1/4" Cat back exhaust, Tinted, K+N panel filter, Zetec mats

Leather/Aluminium Gear knob & handbrake cover, ST170 indicators

brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

I reckon Eibachs are the go, I get a little too much bounce with my KW's but that's the price to pay for a 2 inch drop that sits amazingly well. I'd have to say the KW's are for un-kitted cars and the Eibachs are the go for cars with bodykits. DEFINITELY happy with mine, but in retrospect I'd have picked the Eibachs also.

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 22:07   #5 (permalink)

too many speed humps and driveways in my travels to consider lowering my focus...hence the desire to go for the 17inch rims to fill out the wheel arches..but in saying that and from experience with springs previously you probably cant go past the Eibachs....

www.eurofordclub.com
www.wrc.com
www.greatsouthernsuper.com.au
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 00:25   #6 (permalink)
the fOCUS Family

just got the newsletter today about the zetec r.... and wow, been drooling all day.. great value that was.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:31   #7 (permalink)

What's going on!!!! We are all agreeing on something! This can't be right.
Manual 2003 Machine Silver 5 Door Zetec. 17" factory alloys. Factory Body Kit. BMC Air Filter. Magnecor wires. Herrod stainless steel cat-back. ST170 Lower Grille. ST170 Fog Lights.ST170 side indicators. ST170 pedals. Darkest tint. Mobil synthetics throughout. Auto Art "Black Magic" taillights. Euro rear wiper. Gas bonnet struts.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:26   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys, it looks like the Eibach's are the go....

Just to throw in a 'what if'...... what about Pedders??

Yes/No/Maybe?? I had them on my '98 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro a few years ago and they were an improvement on the stock Audoi Sports suspension, but just because they (Pedders) were good on one car doesnt mean they will be good on another.

Thanks in advance

Graham
Old 09-24-2004, 16:56   #9 (permalink)

Graham,

Frankly I'd avoid the Pedders. Poor mans alternative on this car. The handling of the Focus is so good you wouldn't want to bugger it up. The big advantage of the Focus in terms of modifying is that because it has been such a huge seller around the world, the aftermarket manufacturers can do some real top quality testing because they know there is a big market in which to recoup their money. They have sold thousands and thousands of products that owners have tried in all sorts of conditions. The Eibachs have been totally tested for Focus, and there are thousands of happy owners throughout Europe and US.

In contrast, the local Pedders bloke probably hasn't even seen a Focus and will use the "I reckon" method of spring selection. "Suck it and see" has never been a confidence building methodology in my book.

I was quoted $650 for supply and fitment of the Eibach Pro Kit springs in Melbourne, so Brothers $700 seems about right
Old 09-24-2004, 20:54   #10 (permalink)

I am with melbzetec here, eibach have a set spring for the Focus which I take as having been designed specifially and tested for the Focus, Pedders will give you a run of the mill type set-up, not a focus developed product

www.eurofordclub.com
www.wrc.com
www.greatsouthernsuper.com.au
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum