Paintwork on Aus Focus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 23:37   #1 (permalink)

Question Paintwork on Aus Focus

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and was looking for a bit of help/information on peoples paintwork.

My wife has a 2003 Focus and every time a bird shits on the car it takes what looks to be the clear coat of the paint with it when you wash it off.
The bird shit seems to attack the paint from the second it lands on the car.
I washed one off that I saw land on the car, that would have only been on the paint for 20 seconds at most and even it left a dull crazed patch.

I have approached Ford about this and it seems I have the only Focus that this happens to.

If anyone else has had or is having a problem with bird shit removing or marking the paint on their Focus it would be great if you could let me know.

Thanks very much, Alan.
Gina HFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 13:26   #2 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Re: Paintwork on Aus Focus

Howdy,

Mine is a little rain damaged on the roof and bonnet, where there are patches of dodginess all over it, not sure when/how it got there but for a while I used to not wash my car every week which I think did it, I just never polished or waxed my car in the first 12 months, didn't think I needed to... big mistake. First new car.

I recommend getting a seriously good cut and polish or even getting it professionally buffed if there are clearcoat marks on the car, and then once the outer layer has been rescued, then hit the car with a good polish and then a nice hard wax over the polish. I did on Sunday and by jove my 2 year old car (apart from the polish on the mouldings which is my next task) looks absolutely bloody brilliant. Still roof marked, but that's now permanent. I had it buffed professionally by my Ford Dealer (I worked there - nuff said) and it fixed much of the crap, but I have learnt with car paint that you can NEVER EVER bee too anal or too careful. As for bird shit - not sure it should react straight away, maybe the birds in your area are just not getting enough fibre in their diets and are eating too many sweets. Naughty birdies...

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 16:04   #3 (permalink)

Hi Zetec,

Thanks for the reply, but the damage is past a good cutting compound. I've attached a picture of the largest spot of damage and as you can see the clear coat is gone, so i'll have to get it fixed proffesionally.

My Commodore sits in the same driveway and gets the same bird shit on it and it does not affect the paint at all.

The purpose of this post was to see if there was anyone else with this problem so that I can go back to Ford and show them that there is a problam with the paint and hopefully get mine fixed and those others with a problem fixed as well.

Alan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bird Shit damage.JPG (20.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 01-17-2005, 16:07   #4 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

CRIKEY!!!! Mine's nothing like that, in comparison mine's showrrom. That's disgusting!!!!! Has to be a one off surely.

Old 01-17-2005, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
It goes like a Zetec!

Dear Allan,

I just contacted my partner who is an R&D scientist for a paint company (who happens to supply the paint for the Focus) and while I was talking to her I asked her about your problem and forwarded the picture.

Her comments word for word from an e-mail she sent me:

"The best advice I can give to that person is to keep at Ford. The paint is not supposed to be doing that! Make sure he documents things and takes pictures etc to back him up. I will have a talk to someone down in auto and get back to you if they have any more to add"

I'll let you know what she comes back with.

Ken
KJGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 18:15   #6 (permalink)

Hi KJGH,

Thanks very much for the reply.
Any info you can get me would be great.

Alan.
Old 01-17-2005, 20:43   #7 (permalink)
It goes like a Zetec!

Dear Allan,

This is Sarah's official statement:

If the bird shit is removed within a day or so of it being deposited there should be no damage to the paint. You should keep complaining to Ford as it is their problem, don't let them make you think otherwise. The fact is that no one else's paint shows the same thing, that should be proof enough, not been given as a reason as to why it shouldn't be covered!! Even if the paint is left there longer you should not see the removal of a layer of paint, only slight to moderate discolouration of the paint due to a loss in gloss. The paint is tested by both the manufacturer and Ford in this case for instances such as this, so that paint doesn't go to shit after a bird shits on it. If you don't get satisfaction from your dealer keep going up the ladder until you do get some satisfaction.

Ken
Old 01-17-2005, 20:45   #8 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

I'm staying out of this one!!

Old 01-17-2005, 21:50   #9 (permalink)
It goes like a Zetec!

Hehehe..

Ford should be okay. Our dealings with them have always been good. The only problems we've encountered are our recent dealings with getting the CL repaired at the dealer but after complaining they've taken the car back and they're getting the car independently assessed. We may get a refund for the cost of the pads and discs and hopefully a transmission that doesn't sound like Jackie Chan kicking the shit out of the drivers door.
Old 01-17-2005, 22:31   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Ken, I'm back to Ford tomorrow to get the fuel sender changed and a couple of bits and pieces done.

I will let everyone know what the eventual out come is.

Alan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum