Possible PCM Failure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 22:31   #1 (permalink)

Possible PCM Failure

Before I begin, any and all recommendations and feedback is thoroughly appreciated. Also, I apologize for the long post. But I'm a stickler for details and I figured it couldn't hurt.

I've been having an ongoing issue with my 2002 Focus ZX3. The air conditioning was going in and out--intermittent cooling followed by warm air and so on. I used some of that A/C Pro Cold stuff I got at Autozone and it seemed to work well. This was the end of June.

In mid-July I noticed after about an hour of driving into New Jersey that my OBD-II light came on. [I found out the code was P0304--Cylinder 4 misfire.] At one point that same day the engine stalled out after shifting gears from reverse to drive. I simply turned the ignition off and on and it worked. And that's when the idling issues began.

Any time the car idles it shakes--heavily, and often. The shaking is worse, however, when the A/C is running. I managed to get the car home, but on the way noticed the OBD-II light was blinking when I would hit a certain RPM level. Apparently this signaled the misfire occurring. Twice the car "stalled" out between mid-July and this past weekend. I used the quotations because it kept running, but all the lights on the dash went off as well as the security light. It lasts about two seconds and then the car drove fine.

I changed the spark plugs and ignition wires and added fuel injector cleaner. The unfortunate part of that code is that it could be any number of things. When this preventative maintenance didn't help I brought it to a garage. They said that they believed it may be a leaky head gasket and that I should take it to a dealer (which honestly is an inevitability I'm trying to avoid). Apparently after half an hour of running it started to smoke.

This past Saturday (luckily for me on my way to work) my car stalled out about five minutes (3.5 miles) from my house. There were no lights, no noises, no smoke--nothing. It just lost all power, and I coasted off to the side of the road. The interesting thing is that the wiper blades swung to an upward position. I tried turning the ignition. Nothing. No clicks, no noises, nothing at all. I got it towed back to my house (free thanks to AAA) where it now sits. I tried giving it another whirl today. All it does when I turn the key is make a long ringing noise (the same noise that you get when your keys are in the ignition and the car door is open). When I turn it back the noise fades away.

I've searched through forums here, other online sources, information from friends--everything I could in order to get more information. I figured at this point I might as well post here myself and see if anyone has any suggestions. The only thing I could find that explains all of my car's symptoms is a faulty PCM. Do any of you have suggestions on how I could go about resolving this issue? How much does parts and labor go for this type of procedure? Again, any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Ty
TJA8891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 04:11   #2 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage
Re: Possible PCM Failure

Is this a Zetec or SPI?

I expect it's a Zetec?

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42   #3 (permalink)

Yep. Zetec.
Old 07-30-2012, 19:28   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Somebody more familiar with how the electronics work here, what would happen if his power hold relay was faulty and losing continuity momentarily?
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 19:31   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

For your review
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002 Ztec Auto EEC.jpg (61.5 KB, 12 views)
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Check the compression on no4 cyl . Check all earths / grounds especially from engine to body. If still not starting either try a jump start or test battery is o.k . If starts with a jump , check / test alternator output and battery if needed.
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:00   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Have you had the timing belt replaced since new ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 18:28   #8 (permalink)

Sorry for the delayed feedback. Uh, well I can't really test anything as I don't have the requisite tools to do so and I can't turn the car on. The battery appears to work alright, but power to every other component on the car has seemed to have failed.

So I can't check the compression in the fourth cylinder but I can check to see if it'll start with a jump. Didn't think of the alternator being the issue.

And I haven't changed the timing belts but I've only had the car since September 2011. I do know the previous owner though; a friend of a friend.

I can get my hands on jumper cables either tomorrow or definitely Thursday. I'll see if it might be the alternator. Thanks for all of your feedback. It's really appreciated.
Old 07-31-2012, 18:32   #9 (permalink)

Also, I may as well get the battery tested while I'm at it. What sucks is that I've done nothing but repair this vehicle since I purchased it. I replaced the windshield, rear shocks, spark plugs, ignition wires, tires, rack and pinion--and that's just off the top of my head. I've got a solid rapport with the people at STS Auto and Autozone though, so I guess that's the silver lining or something.
Old 07-31-2012, 18:52   #10 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA8891 View Post
The battery appears to work alright, but power to every other component on the car has seemed to have failed.
Somebody who owns two focus's, and knows the electrical workings of a focus here:

Have you checked the fuse's, there is a main power fuse in the engine bay fuse box. If that blew, and your battery is okay, then this would not allow power to get to the electronics in the cabin.

If not this^, you might want to check the ground that runs from the neg side of the battery to the side fender wire loom, it is widely known for coming undone and causing all type's of problems.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum