power steering issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 20:00   #1 (permalink)

power steering issues

I have an 02 Focus SVT. I have done the P/S pump and Pressure Line twice now and it blew again. I get about 100 miles leak free and then the line nearly blows off the pump. It is splitting the pressure line inside the fitting that goes into the pump and then leaks like crazy, then driving it home dry it burns the pump seals out. The fitting is tight in the pump, the line I could probably pull straight out the bottom it is so loose. Could this be a rack issue? The original pump made all kinds of noise when I bought the car and just out months later. Anyone have any idea what is going on? I used a motorcraft pump STP94RM and Pressure Line 92102 from Oreily's cause I'm told the OE is not available.
dipiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 18:43   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: power steering issues

It almost sounds like you have a compatibility issue. Any idea what the pump is intended to go in?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:30   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

The pump part no. would appear to be o.k for that car .There are 3 types of hose connection ends / fittings . Type 1 and type 2 use an o-ring fitted on the threaded union nut that enters the pump. They have a recess / indent for an o-ring to fit. May be the wrong hose supplied .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35   #4 (permalink)

The pump is for this car according to ford. It is a ford reman. The hose is the only one listed for this car. I have seen the three types of fittings online, I am getting type 3 which is what I took off of it originally. The hose is supplied with an oring and has the Teflon seal pre-installed. Does the type 3 use this oring? Where does it go? I think it is a rack problem cause it doesn't leak for 80 to 100 miles when the line nearly blows off. It's not coming loose or leaking it is out right failing.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:19   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I have worked on power steering systems, but only to replace failed parts. I have worked on industrial hydraulic systems, which is what a power steering system is, so somebody may need to step up to the plate and apply some guidance here, but I'm going to talk generalities about hydraulic systems and someone may need to translate over to automotive.

In a hydraulic system, there's generally something engineered in to limit how long pressure can be applied to move something. Sometimes it's a limit switch to a solenoid, but most of the time it's an internal bypass, much like a relief valve, that regulates and ports the high pressure side to the low pressure side (the return). I've always made the assumption that the noise you hear when you've turned your wheel to it's limit was the bypass porting the excess pressure back to the return. I've also always assumed that it was located internal to the pump, but if you've changed the pump, it sounds like it might be located in the rack. With out grabbing a wrench and poking it with a stick, you've reached the limit of my knowledge of the system.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:57   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Check this , posts 8&10 .Might help you .

"How To" SVT & Zetec Power Steering Pump & Line Replacement - Focus Fanatics
Old 07-09-2013, 18:38   #7 (permalink)

After a lot of researching I have the answer on the "extra" o-ring supplied with the Edelman, Gates, AcDelco, and OEM line. One o-ring for the end of the line into the rack, the other IS for the pressure sensor. A lot of people have told me it's for the return line at the rack which is much smaller. Others have told me it goes on the pump end of the line and just sits there until tightened, not so. I am quite confident that my issue all along has been a failed relief valve in the rack which is causing too much pressure on the line that keeps failing. I am in the process of swapping the rack tonight and will report my success? after a few hundred miles.
Old 07-09-2013, 19:15   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:21   #9 (permalink)

It's FIXED!! The rack cured it. Had to be that the original pump failure sent a bunch of debris into the rack and plugged it up, despite back flushing it a lot prior to pump replacement. Gone Hundreds of miles leak free at this point and been driving it hard. Thanks to all that had input.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:31   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

Good to hear you got it sorted , thanks for updating the forum .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum