Prob with Fuel Guage..HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2004, 05:15   #1 (permalink)
Anger is my Friend

confused Prob with Fuel Guage..HELP!

Ok guys i am having big problems with my fuel guage. When i fill up my tank completely my gauge goes down to completely empty and the fuel light comes on. The son of a bitch sits there and stays that way until i travel about 45km then goes up to the point of before i filled my tank up and sits there for about 10 more km. Then decides to go back up to the Full Tank line.

Then it sits of the full line until i have travelled 150km in total. I normally fill up at the quarter tank line and i put in 45L???

Now i need to know how many other of you beautiful focus owners (or even other ford owners) find that they need to travel 150 km when they fill up before the fuel guage moves or even have heard/had the same prob as mine???

I havnt taken it back to dealer yet cause i didnt want to get there for them to say. "Sir it isnt recommended you fill up your tank to the full mark, you are meant to leave a air pocket in your tank for safety reasons. So if you want this fixed it will cost you $300 for a new sensor and $400 for labor. Will that be cash or credit?"

Thanx Heaps Russ
Mongoose Security, 12 Inch Xpolde Sub + Box, 800 watt Monoblock Xplod Amp, Nokia 7250i inbuild carkit, 20% Window tints Dropped 42mm on Peddlers Sports Springs with 18x7.5 LENSO 'Concept Five' rims rolling on 35mm of Falken Rubber. Black Altezza Style rear light

ST170 Side repeaters and fog to reverse light!
WASACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004, 07:57   #2 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Re: Prob with Fuel Guage..HELP!

mine moves off the full mark at 75-100kms.. but today has just done 150 before it moved

and there is a TSB out for the fuel gauge but its a bitch of a job to do, takes a few hours.. so take it back and get it checked out if they have nfi tell them about the TSB

chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 14:39   #3 (permalink)

yeah, my fuel gauge doesnt move much at all until I have done at least 100km, plus when I start my focus in the morning it takes probably 1-2 mins for the fuel gauge to set itself at its correct position (usually starts a little bit lower than where it gets to).

As for the fuel gauge, I generally go by km travelled and dont really use the gauge, I know I am getting on average 8.5L/100km so I just make sure I dont do more than 600km before I fill up again, but usually fill up at 450km.

www.eurofordclub.com
www.wrc.com
www.greatsouthernsuper.com.au
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:55   #4 (permalink)
Anger is my Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
mine moves off the full mark at 75-100kms.. but today has just done 150 before it moved

and there is a TSB out for the fuel gauge but its a bitch of a job to do, takes a few hours.. so take it back and get it checked out if they have nfi tell them about the TSB

chris
Um not to sound silly or anything but what is a TSB

Thanx Russ
Mongoose Security, 12 Inch Xpolde Sub + Box, 800 watt Monoblock Xplod Amp, Nokia 7250i inbuild carkit, 20% Window tints Dropped 42mm on Peddlers Sports Springs with 18x7.5 LENSO 'Concept Five' rims rolling on 35mm of Falken Rubber. Black Altezza Style rear light

Old 09-16-2004, 11:01   #5 (permalink)

Mine begins to move when I travelled about 135km, goes to half-tank at 350km and light lights-up at about 700km (I still have about 8liter in tank)
paulcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 21:04   #6 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Never silly mate :)

Its a Technical Service Bulletin... ford put them out to fix the crap on cars that a complete recall isnt really needed for

i *think* mine may be stuffing up now as wel, just as you made this thread it didnt move for 150-175kms off the full mark which is very unusual....

thats some good milage there paulcarrier..... i get about 500kms out of my tank
Old 09-17-2004, 03:57   #7 (permalink)
Anger is my Friend

Sorry to jinx you buddy!

I just seem to think that a fuel guage should work AS THE FUEL goes down...Not when the fuel has gone down a little bit more!

How do i find out about these TSBs?

And pailcarrier milage just shows that is inst 'using the car' to its full potential!

Russ

Old 09-17-2004, 05:57   #8 (permalink)
ST170ish

I got a problem like this too, sometimes it does sometimes it dont.
It only happens when its filled up from below 1/4 tank, the sender seems to fail too reconise the tank has been filled untill the ignition has been switched off and on a couple of times, or after 100-150km constant driving... then all's OK!
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:45   #9 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

speak to your dealer they know about them

well *should* know about them
Old 09-18-2004, 05:14   #10 (permalink)
ST170ish

I cant be bothered with the dealer I brought the car from, and the dealer in my local is very slow(im still waiting for my new rear skirt 6mths now...)*should* is something they dont understand... the service they just done was a embaressment for them, when i booked i said "its a ST170" reply was "whats that"!!!!!!!
Two weeks later I dropped the car off, after 3hrs I got a phone call at about lunchtime saying "u didnt tell us its a ST170... we started to do the service and we havent got a oil filter, what do you want to do it will take 2-3days for 1 to arrive and the oil has already been drained" I said you'll put new oil in and Im not paying for the second lot of oil when the filter arrives...
They keep ST service stock now, apparently they did the same to the other ST170 owner thats here!

I think the guage problem is not that bad to put up with and god knows how it would take this dealer to fix it up.
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum