ST170 NOT worth the money over Zetec - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2003, 01:41   #1 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

ST170 NOT worth the money over Zetec

Hey all,

This is my first post here, just wanted to add my 20 cents worth!

Having owned a 2dr Manual 2.0L Zetec (Machine silver) since February 2003, I finally test drove an ST170 the other day after wondering just how good it was for a while. I can be honest with you all and say I was not really all that impressed. It is barely noticeable the increased speed over the Zetec, although the exhaust sounds much better tuned and is a little more resposive naturally.

The driver's seat power operation makes it sit too high, much higher than the manual windy one on my Zetec which sits nice and low and central. It's also a lot more comfortable in the Zetec.

The gearbox in the Zetec, although only 5 gears over the St170's 6 gears, seems smoother and more user friendly, well weighted and flexible.

The suspension is too hard in the ST170, although nothing beats it for turn in response. I just don't know that I could live with it after all that, with the Zetec's being slightly more absorbent and generous, albeit a little rolly at times.

Disregarding the absolutely gorgeous body on the ST170, I would happily buy a Zetec again given the choice, and spend the extra $7,000 on a body kit, 17 inch rims and a new exhaust/intake system with a powerchip. Not only would you see about $1-2000 change from your investment, but it would be virtually as quick, running about 115kW or so after the light mods. I could then spend my last $1000 on the factory 6-stacker CD player if I really wanted to. You'd have a similar handling car, almost as quick, arguably better looking rims and more comfortable seats, less gears to change with a better gearshift and all the sexiness of the 2 door body.

Anyone agree? Anyone out there test driven the two back to back? Hope it helps!!!! I guess the only problem would be resale... but who cares, I'm not planing on selling it before it falls apart... which is never!!!
Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2003, 05:32   #2 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

Re: ST170 NOT worth the money over Zetec

ZETEC.......mate we r on the same wave lenght. although not having driven an ST170 i can not justify the extra 10k. in addition i hate sitting up high in a sport hatch. i would take an turbo astra before an st (sad to say)

yes, zetec with mods all the way.
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:05   #3 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Hold on a minute!!! I'd sooner Just buy some Zetec seats and reskin them with the original STleather, just getting rid of the power seat option, which would solve my biggest rpoblem with the car. Apart from that, I'd still get a ST170 over an Astra Turbo. ANY day. It's like the old HSV debate. Why buy a car just because it's a bit faster. It's the corners that reveal a true driver and a true car It's the curves than make you smile until it hurts. Just buy a stock Zetec and you'll know that My old man has the Astra Convertible with the 108kW 2.2 litre SRi engine. It pulls hard, but just doesn't have the chassis... typical Holden
Old 08-13-2003, 19:00   #4 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

i guess i would need to drive each of them back to back but i still have an inkling that i would get the turbo. If i was spending 37k in this segment, i would expect more performance that 8.5sec 0-100km/h. Dont get me wrong the st170 is super sexy, but the astra just seems that bit more special
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 17:35   #5 (permalink)
Anger is my Friend

Well guys if you want to start talking abut mods why not buy a CL1.8l man for 22k on road and then put 15k under the hood??? You cant tell me with that sort of modding that it would own your ass! And WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU GET A ASTRA TURBO??? When you could get a 206 GTi 180 for 35k??? Have you guys ever taking a drive in one of these babies???
Mongoose Security, 12 Inch Xpolde Sub + Box, 800 watt Monoblock Xplod Amp, Nokia 7250i inbuild carkit, 20% Window tints Dropped 42mm on Peddlers Sports Springs with 18x7.5 LENSO 'Concept Five' rims rolling on 35mm of Falken Rubber. Black Altezza Style rear light

ST170 Side repeaters and fog to reverse light!
WASACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 18:37   #6 (permalink)

Zetec, never having driven the ST170 but owning a Zetec I love the way it corners and could only imagine the ST170 would be better. However I loke the mags and fog lights on the Zetec better than the ST170 (those little fogs look crap)

Wascal, I agree here, a pug would be my choice over the astra in the 35-40K hatch brakcet any day...funny story, the other night parked at Chatswood for dinner in a darkened street, on the way back to my car I pulled up to a pug (i actually thought it was my Zetec as I wasnt paying close attention, similar lights at the front same personalised plate style) pressed the unlock button and didnt hear a noise, then started to swear at the pug because the stupid doors wouldnt unlock, then sheepishly realised it wasnt my Zetec...my brother was pissing himslef laughing on the footpath....

www.eurofordclub.com
www.wrc.com
www.greatsouthernsuper.com.au
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 19:34   #7 (permalink)

Does anyone know what the R32 veedub golfs are worth? Those have to be the best looking golfs ever.
Suth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 22:03   #8 (permalink)

$63,000 plus Dealer Delivery and on roads for manual. 177kW V6

How many would you like sir?
Manual 2003 Machine Silver 5 Door Zetec. 17" factory alloys. Factory Body Kit. BMC Air Filter. Magnecor wires. Herrod stainless steel cat-back. ST170 Lower Grille. ST170 Fog Lights.ST170 side indicators. ST170 pedals. Darkest tint. Mobil synthetics throughout. Auto Art "Black Magic" taillights. Euro rear wiper. Gas bonnet struts.
melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 22:15   #9 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

One thanks. I'll refuse to pay for it though.

And whippet come for a drive in my close to stock 3 door manual 2 litre Focus and see if you'd THEN pay $10k more!!!!!! Doubt it.

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Old 09-01-2004, 02:46   #10 (permalink)

Zetec, I trust you, I love mine, lower job, suspension tighten and it would be close to the same as the ST170 in road hugging set up....squirt a few changes to the engine and I reckon I'd be away without having to spend any more than $5K..plus I get to keep the Zetec foggies instead of those beady little ST170 foggies which look like buttons

www.eurofordclub.com
www.wrc.com
www.greatsouthernsuper.com.au
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum