strange sound when I step on the gas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 21:07   #1 (permalink)

frown strange sound when I step on the gas

Hi, everyone, I am new driver, only 2.5 months driving experience. I have a
question about my new ford focus, 2002:

When I step the gas, there is click-click sound from the engine (probably
not, but it seems right from the engine). The frequency of this sound
increase with the extent I step; and the sound disappears when I release the
gas pad even if the velocity of car is very high. Very strangely, when I drive uphill, this sound immediately disappears. Yesterday I go to a shop and spend 500 dollars to replace the egr valve, pipe and major tune up. It sounds good and I accept the price. But today the sound came back, a little but still noticeable.

Does anyone know what's happening and how to solve it?
Cheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 18:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: strange sound when I step on the gas

i also hear the noise coming from the block @ idle when my car is cold. After my car has warmed up the noise goes way. Its not a tick tick noise, its more like a squeeky noise that does'nt go away. This noise came on when i went to the track and after i got off it started coming on. 2000 Ford Focus ZTS 2.0 Litre zetec.
taranmalhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 20:10   #3 (permalink)
canuck

What did the shop include in the tune up? Is the engine light on?

Without knowing what this sound sounds like, it could be either the fuel injectors just doing their job (Dodge vehicles are known for loud injectors), but I didn't notice it in the Focus I had as a rental for a few days last year. The other more serious side is that you might be experience the sound of engine knock, or ping. This is when the fuel/air mix detonates before the piston is at top dead centre, and can create damaging effects if not taken care of. Knock sensors built into the software program should solve that. However, try putting in 4-5gallons of 89 or 91 octane fuel to see if the sounds goes away. Make sure you have very little regular gas left in the tank to get a proper test done. If the sound goes away after using higher octane fuel then it is pre-detonation and the knock sensors have failed.

Another possible solution is that the idler pulley is shot and needs to be replaced. The bearings in the pulley should last the life of the vehicle - but not always. With the engine running, open the hood and make sure the belt is running straight and true. A more involved way to check is to take the belt off the idler pulley and try to rock it back and forth and if there is play, then you know its shot.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 23:45   #4 (permalink)

same thing i hear when im idle on both my focus's as well as my "ford" ranger its a ford thing haha
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum