Super poor fuel economy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 07:27   #1 (permalink)

Super poor fuel economy

I have a 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon with 215k on it. I bought it recently it was a fleet car. Carfax shows amazing maintainence records. On a full tank of gas all I can manage to get is 230 miles before the low fuel light comes on. When the car has a full tank I sometimes smell a gas smell but never while driving just at idle and only somtimes. Any ideas thanks
unirok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 07:59   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Super poor fuel economy

When fuel light comes on you usually have 50mls fuel left . I think tank capacity is 50litres , near enough 10 gallons . Going by that , which is only a rough guide , you would seem to be averaging at least 28mpg . MPG depends on many factors , like type of driving , is it stop start town work , colder weather meaning longer to warm up , year and mileage of car , tyre pressures etc. etc . Could see if any sign of fuel leaks whilst engine running and also check fuel cap / seal .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:01   #3 (permalink)

Is the check engine light on? If it is have the codes pulled, this will likely help you find your problem. A bad 02 sensor, bad plugs, bad wires or ECT sensor can also cause poor fuel efficiency.
FordMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:06   #4 (permalink)

There was a check engine code when I first got it. It was a idle are control error whic was replaced and no check engine light ever came back on. I have put about 500 miles on the car since then and still no check engine light. This is a 4 cylinder and getting the same mpg as my bigger v8 cars its crazy. No puddles in my driveway so I know its not a fuel leak. Are the zetecs prone to poor mpg at high mileage? Thanks
unirok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:14   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Could have a look at air filter , wont help if needing changed .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum