In the time of edits why did I choose Unichip - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2004, 16:43   #1 (permalink)
Respect the Bulge

In the time of edits why did I choose Unichip

I would like to share my thoughts and an important decision that I made recently with the good people of the Ford Forums. For some people modification is not a big decision, but for me it is one that I have pondered and researched since joining the forums, for me it is a monumental decision.

Quite a number of us have been intently involved in the debate / discussion and sometimes could even be described as a slanging match in regard to Unichip or edit. I have not started this thread to start a new fight, but to share my thought process of why ultimately I was more comfortable with the Unichip option instead of the edit process.

Firstly I was originally intent on achieving a high RWKW figure and seeing how much raw power these boss V8’s can put out. For the moment I will not post the RWKW as this is not the ultimate focus of the thread.

Stating the obvious for a moment the drive by wire used by Ford does not seem initially to be as responsive as I had hoped. It sometimes seems as if the car is asking are you sure you really want to go, OK if you’re really sure lets go. Obviously there were times that the response was immediate, but there were also many times when it was not.

Many of us also buy our V8’s for the “note” that rumble that pervades your soul and becomes a craving that you desire every time you start the car up. While the FPV range of V8’s certainly does have a rumble, it is not always present and sometimes not deep enough. This is evidenced by the fact that quite a number of FPV owners have changed to an aftermarket exhaust, or modified to have a dual exhaust. I have a certain problem with throwing out a perfectly serviceable exhaust to put a new one on, however when the current one wears out I may revise my decision.

Enough crapping on about the background, specifically why did I choose a Unichip and not the edit.

Driveability, power consistently across the range that the car is capable of is what I ultimately decided was what I wanted from my car. We could all seek a extremely high RWKW figure, but I ask you at what price. If you have massive power and cannot easily convert that to forward momentum what use is it other than to shred tyres (and at around $350 to $500 a tyre) I do not have that kind of money to piss up against a wall. I drive my car every day it is my car and I want to drive it, not only bring it out on special occasions. It is my firm belief that the real life tune offered as a part of the process of installing the Unichip is superior to an off the shelf “one-size fits all” type approach (being nearly 6ft4in tall I could show you many one size fits all things that don’t even come close.

From reading the posts of other forum members the variability of the cars is their consistency. It strikes me as unusual to say the least that a generic fix could be applied to a non-generic item. I also have extreme reservations with certain aspects of the edit process that could allow the car to operate outside the design limitations built into the design of the car as a package. This is directly a product of the car being built to a budget and not to a specification.

For those of you that believe the edit will not be detectible, dream on and act with some honesty. If you have a problem and you are asked if the car has been edited will you lie or tell the truth.

I had a Unichip installed Monday, I still have a grin from ear to ear it is more than I expected in a positive way. Peter, Rainer and everyone at APS thank you for looking after a very important member of our family and treating it with the respect that I believe it deserves.

My car is a GT-P automatic otherwise unmodified. Now to the ultimate test, what is it like to drive on the road. Smooth acceleration whenever you ask for it, there is no delay in the response. It does feel more powerful, but in a controlled way, it is useable wherever you need it. Tyre spinning is no more an issue than previously. The rumble is more pronounced at idle and while driving, but is not a drone at any speed even on the freeway yesterday into the city. The car feels more responsive and it is even more enjoyable to drive, it is like getting a new car that is even more enjoyable to drive, and I didn’t think that it would be possible. I love my car even more now.

To any other person that is thinking of going down the same track, my personal opinion is do not be fooled by the “smoke and mirrors”. Do your own research, ask questions and make any one working on your car justify to you beyond any doubt that to do whatever to your car would be a good thing and not a step backwards, or even sidewards.

Steven
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 17:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: In the time of edits why did I choose Unichip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP151
I would like to share my thoughts and an important decision that I made recently with the good people of the Ford Forums. For some people modification is not a big decision, but for me it is one that I have pondered and researched since joining the forums, for me it is a monumental decision.

Quite a number of us have been intently involved in the debate / discussion and sometimes could even be described as a slanging match in regard to Unichip or edit. I have not started this thread to start a new fight, but to share my thought process of why ultimately I was more comfortable with the Unichip option instead of the edit process.

Firstly I was originally intent on achieving a high RWKW figure and seeing how much raw power these boss V8’s can put out. For the moment I will not post the RWKW as this is not the ultimate focus of the thread.

Stating the obvious for a moment the drive by wire used by Ford does not seem initially to be as responsive as I had hoped. It sometimes seems as if the car is asking are you sure you really want to go, OK if you’re really sure lets go. Obviously there were times that the response was immediate, but there were also many times when it was not.

Many of us also buy our V8’s for the “note” that rumble that pervades your soul and becomes a craving that you desire every time you start the car up. While the FPV range of V8’s certainly does have a rumble, it is not always present and sometimes not deep enough. This is evidenced by the fact that quite a number of FPV owners have changed to an aftermarket exhaust, or modified to have a dual exhaust. I have a certain problem with throwing out a perfectly serviceable exhaust to put a new one on, however when the current one wears out I may revise my decision.

Enough crapping on about the background, specifically why did I choose a Unichip and not the edit.

Driveability, power consistently across the range that the car is capable of is what I ultimately decided was what I wanted from my car. We could all seek a extremely high RWKW figure, but I ask you at what price. If you have massive power and cannot easily convert that to forward momentum what use is it other than to shred tyres (and at around $350 to $500 a tyre) I do not have that kind of money to piss up against a wall. I drive my car every day it is my car and I want to drive it, not only bring it out on special occasions. It is my firm belief that the real life tune offered as a part of the process of installing the Unichip is superior to an off the shelf “one-size fits all” type approach (being nearly 6ft4in tall I could show you many one size fits all things that don’t even come close.

From reading the posts of other forum members the variability of the cars is their consistency. It strikes me as unusual to say the least that a generic fix could be applied to a non-generic item. I also have extreme reservations with certain aspects of the edit process that could allow the car to operate outside the design limitations built into the design of the car as a package. This is directly a product of the car being built to a budget and not to a specification.

For those of you that believe the edit will not be detectible, dream on and act with some honesty. If you have a problem and you are asked if the car has been edited will you lie or tell the truth.

I had a Unichip installed Monday, I still have a grin from ear to ear it is more than I expected in a positive way. Peter, Rainer and everyone at APS thank you for looking after a very important member of our family and treating it with the respect that I believe it deserves.

My car is a GT-P automatic otherwise unmodified. Now to the ultimate test, what is it like to drive on the road. Smooth acceleration whenever you ask for it, there is no delay in the response. It does feel more powerful, but in a controlled way, it is useable wherever you need it. Tyre spinning is no more an issue than previously. The rumble is more pronounced at idle and while driving, but is not a drone at any speed even on the freeway yesterday into the city. The car feels more responsive and it is even more enjoyable to drive, it is like getting a new car that is even more enjoyable to drive, and I didn’t think that it would be possible. I love my car even more now.

To any other person that is thinking of going down the same track, my personal opinion is do not be fooled by the “smoke and mirrors”. Do your own research, ask questions and make any one working on your car justify to you beyond any doubt that to do whatever to your car would be a good thing and not a step backwards, or even sidewards.

Steven
Steven , get back to us in a month and see if you are still feeling as well , I agree a one size tune will not suit your or any other vehicle , that is why we now have tuning software so we can cater a edited tune to suit your vehicle , we have control of all parameters such as throttle response whereas the unichip can only put a offset onto a signal to try and trick the pcm.

The closest analogy I can use is how you would treat your girlfriend - try and trick her by trying to decieve her and she will learn that pretty quickly and bite back , but on the other hand tell her what is going down and she has two options - piss off or accept it whether she likes it or not.

Same with a engines PCm , command it to do something and it has no choice but to obey ( at least they cant say no ) try and trick it and it will learn that something is wrong with the signals it is getting and it will look for backup signals to verify and use if the other signal is out of the expected range.

Unichip is a ok thing when there are no other choices - why would APS bother developing thier edit if the unichip was the be all and end all of tuning.

The only advantage it has at present is a quicker tuning time , but given that we spend months developing a base tune for each vehicle then modify it to suit each vehicle on the day we are tuning - normally each car takes the better part of the day to get it tuned to our satisfaction.

check out Project Monaro soon to be Project Boss
Chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 18:05   #3 (permalink)

That is a good read GTP151. And a excellent example of the use of the forums should be used, as a tool for research and a form of communication between other falcon owners
that are interested in doing mods or looking out for possible problems. as they say 2 heads are better then 1 and if you got 50 heads giving you a quality opinions, that would have to be 25 times better again.

I am glad you are happy with you decision, but you really should through out that oem exhaust and get a after market system. then you will be happier more so.
A cat back is around the $700 depending on what you do to it(single/duel/quad&chrome tips) and a very good investment.

Happy holidays & merry Christmas
Regards mcdennis1
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 18:06   #4 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp151
This is what I don't get. You have bought a car off a factory line which has a "one size fits all tune". All vehicles in Australia get this treatment. Using the Capa Flash tool you get a 'better' "one size fits all tune". However there is a more advanced tool available from the SCT utility belt which allows tuners to fiddle the figures to get a good tune.

Same as a unichip in that respect.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 18:19   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmaster
Steven , get back to us in a month and see if you are still feeling as well , I agree a one size tune will not suit your or any other vehicle , that is why we now have tuning software so we can cater a edited tune to suit your vehicle , we have control of all parameters such as throttle response whereas the unichip can only put a offset onto a signal to try and trick the pcm.

The closest analogy I can use is how you would treat your girlfriend - try and trick her by trying to decieve her and she will learn that pretty quickly and bite back , but on the other hand tell her what is going down and she has two options - piss off or accept it whether she likes it or not.

Same with a engines PCm , command it to do something and it has no choice but to obey ( at least they cant say no ) try and trick it and it will learn that something is wrong with the signals it is getting and it will look for backup signals to verify and use if the other signal is out of the expected range.

Unichip is a ok thing when there are no other choices - why would APS bother developing thier edit if the unichip was the be all and end all of tuning.

The only advantage it has at present is a quicker tuning time , but given that we spend months developing a base tune for each vehicle then modify it to suit each vehicle on the day we are tuning - normally each car takes the better part of the day to get it tuned to our satisfaction.
Well put.

GTP 151, aslong as your happy with your choice mate thats what counts .

Enjoy your car and have a good christmas.

On the note of one tune fits all.... I dont know of any of my customers that wouldnt want to take the opportunity to have there car personaly calibrated and tuned by someone who knows what they are doing on a dyno or at the track.

I think that the base tunes being sold with the flash tuners are a good thing for the guys who dont have a great deal of mods but when it comes to getting the best out of a vehicle the dyno and the tuner and the track will shine above the rest.

anyways enjoy your driveing experience
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 22:06   #6 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Steven, great stuff, good to see the customer leave with a smile on his face.
might even get a bonus saving on your fuel bill..
enjoy it..

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 22:21   #7 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

I'm quite happy with the Unichip myself. Of course I see the merits in the Edit and it can do more for a car than the Unichip, but I guess it comes down to what each person wants.

Its not like you can't purchase the edit later and then have each complement the other eg live tuning + more tuning capabilities.

In the end if the chip does what you want it to do then its a good purchase.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 22:41   #8 (permalink)
what u lookin at

well its always good to see a customer extremely happy eith their purchase.

i cannot agree more with Chipmaster though, being one of the best tuners in WA/Australia
A unichip can only fool the computer in to choosing the better map, whereas the EDIT can change nearly all parameters if not all. one result of an 18kw gain OVER a unichip pretty much tells the story. there are just way too many adv. with the EDIT even if it isnt real time tuning, a good tuner will easily get a better outcome with the EDIT.

a unichip cant control the auto properly, raise the rev limit etc. but on the street and to the owner these things may not bother them.

but anyway its good to see a satisfied customer.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 00:53   #9 (permalink)
Respect the Bulge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmaster

I will let everyone know in a month how it is going, but I would have to say I do not believe that my response will have changed.

If you are over in Melbourne let me know and I will try to find the time to take you for a drive.

Regards

Steven
Old 12-22-2004, 14:49   #10 (permalink)

i dont understand how you come to that conclusion when the edit wasnt released until pretty much this week and the unichips been round a while
bedflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum