U.S.:Ford Offers Second-Generation PZEV Focus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 06:29   #1 (permalink)

U.S.:Ford Offers Second-Generation PZEV Focus

Ford Offers Second-Generation PZEV Focus

Press Releases
By: John Fossen | Ford Communications Network

In addition to meeing super low -- SULEV -- tailpipe emissions, the 2005 PZEV Focus is designed to virtually eliminate any fuel evaporation.

DEARBORN -- How clean is the 2005 PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) Ford Focus? It would have to be driven 6,700 miles to produce tailpipe emissions equivalent to a new, low-emitting 5.4-horsepower lawnmower used for one hour. Furthermore, Ford’s specially equipped small car does not compromise performance, offering a spirited 130 horsepower.
The 2005 model, due to hit the market in mid-May, primarily will be sold in California, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine, so-called “green states” that require a certain percentage of vehicles an automaker sells there each year to meet stringent emissions standards.

Actually, the new PZEV Focus is the second iteration of the company’s exceptionally clean-burning small car. Introduced in mid-2003 as a 2004 model, the original PZEV Focus was designed to meet California’s Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) tailpipe standard and produce zero fuel system evaporative emissions to qualify as a PZEV.

“Some of our competitors first chose to pursue litigation against California’s rigorous emissions standards, but Ford made the decision to get right to work and develop a vehicle that would meet the requirements,” said John Rich, site manager, Ford North American I-4 engine. “It was extremely challenging work over more than three years, but the team did an outstanding job.”

The second-generation Focus PZEV engine is a key element of the 2005 Focus fleet that is estimated to produce 32 percent fewer smog-forming emissions than its 2004 fleet, which already was exceptionally clean. But at the same time, base horsepower will rise 24 percent and fuel economy is expected to improve slightly.

Since its introduction in the 2003 model Ford Focus, the company has produced 94,000 2.3L PZEV engines.

“With this advanced drivetrain, the car has reached near perfection as economy cars go, especially if you like your green machines with a healthy dose of Blue Oval performance,” wrote the editors of Edmunds.com.

When development was completed, the 2004 PZEV Focus had many new components in the fuel, air-induction, and exhaust systems. And the 2.3-liter engine was practically all new. In contrast, the difference between the 2005 2.0-liter I-4 and its PZEV brother is a mere two components.

“There were many lessons learned from the 2.3-liter program that we carried over into the new PZEV and non-PZEV 2.0-liter engines,” said Rich. “In fact, we will be integrating many of the new components and manufacturing techniques into other I-4 engines without incurring significant cost penalties. As a result, we’ve improved the durability and emissions performance of our whole North American I-4 family.”

Furthermore, the PZEV effort is even yielding benefits throughout the company’s global engine operations. For example, Mazda’s Hiroshima engine plant will be using a new cylinder-bore honing, or intricate machining, technique that was validated at the Dearborn Engine Plant. The new process allows for greatly improved oil control that is critical to reducing emissions. Oil contains phosphates, which, if allowed to escape the combustion chamber, can build up on catalysts and render them ineffective.

“This Manufacturing-led initiative hones bores to specifications previously achieved with the labor and cycle-time restrictive deck-plate process,” said Dan Badger, Engine Systems supervisor, North American I-4. “It's now done for a fraction of the current tooling cost at cycle times that support the plant's desired operating pattern. Gregg Schober and Steve Betts did a wonderful job in a pressure situation.”

The team also discovered that coolant temperature significantly impacted oil economy. As a result, a new thermostat start-to-open temperature strategy will be carried across all of the company’s I-4 engines.

“There are many things that we have learned that can be utilized throughout our power plants, and not just I-4 engines,” said Rich.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2004, 01:26   #2 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Re: U.S.:Ford Offers Second-Generation PZEV Focus

proof that technology isn't necessarily the enemy...

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 17:36   #3 (permalink)

It's pretty amazing to think that these 2.3l babies would be putting out far less pollution than my 1.8, and think what sort of power they'd be capable of if you took all the PZEV stuff out?! It's probably going to be a tweaker's dream.
slaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 18:50   #4 (permalink)
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaine
It's pretty amazing to think that these 2.3l babies would be putting out far less pollution than my 1.8, and think what sort of power they'd be capable of if you took all the PZEV stuff out?! It's probably going to be a tweaker's dream.

Doesn't sound to me like you can just take out the PZEV stuff. Things like preventing oil combustion by precision bore machining should also help sealing around the piston and give greater power. I think by having near zero emissions you are making sure you have complete combustion and hence more energy from the fuel. Thats at least what I can tell.

Andrew

Eibach Pro Kit, 2 1/4" Cat back exhaust, Tinted, K+N panel filter, Zetec mats

Leather/Aluminium Gear knob & handbrake cover, ST170 indicators

brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 19:57   #5 (permalink)

Well, yer probably right, I know nothing about engines, but I read somewhere that people were having alot of luck tweaking PZEV engines for better performance. Maybe in terms of intakes, exhausts or de-cat or somesuch, I don't really know.
slaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 20:29   #6 (permalink)
Linux User

That does make sense. There is usually always gains to be made. Changing intakes, exhausts etc should do it, all I was sayin was you probably can't take away of change the PZEV components. Hey, maybe you would end up with an even more powerful engine still with (hopefully) PZEV.

Eibach Pro Kit, 2 1/4" Cat back exhaust, Tinted, K+N panel filter, Zetec mats

Leather/Aluminium Gear knob & handbrake cover, ST170 indicators

brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum