Ford Forums banner

Unseen New 2004/5 Focus Spy Shots (undisguised!)

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  blackout 
#1 ·
Next year's Focus breaks cover

Pics- http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=240&storyid=2394

The next-generation Ford Focus - Britain's best-selling car - is due to go on sale next year, and it will have received more than just a mild makeover. It will be built on the new platform which forms the basis of the recently-launched C-MAX compact MPV, the Mazda 3 and the all-new Volvo S40, and be longer, wider and more spacious inside. These photos hint at a less bulbous, more elegant side profile for the hatchback, though a Ford spokeswoman told us that they don't give any clues as to the final appearance of the front end: apparently, this will have some "very different detailing", and a whole new look. The nose won't resemble that of the Visos concept displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show, however: the design and development of Focus Mk 2 pre-dates that project, and was already signed off before the Visos was styled.

Engines on offer in the Focus will include new 1.6-litre and 1.8-litre SCi direct-injection petrol units, the latter as already offered in the Mondeo, and revised versions of the 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre TDCi diesels. A new semi-automatic gearbox will be offered in higher-powered variants, with steering wheel-mounted controls and a double clutch system similar to that in Audi's DSG 'box. High-performance versions will follow, but apparently there are no plans to introduce a four-wheel drive version, despite Ford's testing of such technology (see separate Focus C-MAX story). We've also been told that there are "definitely no plans" for a Focus-based coupe, despite the positive reception given to the Capri-like Visos, though we wouldn't rule it out at a later date. The new Focus range will consist of hatchback, estate and saloon models only, as well as the C-MAX, at least at the time of launch.

<hr>

Pics- http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6466&sid=178&n=158

Ford is preparing the launch of the all-new generation Focus. Here are photos showing for the first time a prototype of the three-door model with some disguise at front and rear end, and the five-door hatchback. The latter picture is the first to reveal that model's new styling.

The forthcoming second generation Focus will spawn the replacement for the world's best-selling car from March 2004 on (hatchback, sedan, wagon). It was expected to make its debut at this fall's Frankfurt Motor Show, simultaneously with the new VW Golf 5 and the new Opel Astra, but was not shown.

Ford will offer the Focus again as three- and five-door hatchbacks, four-door sedan, and a station wagon. The sportier versions and possibly a coupe are expected to come to market later. With the new Focus the company is striving for more quality of the new model generation. It is a completely new vehicle, and the platform will be used also by Volvo and Mazda. Power comes from a brand-new engine, a 2.0-liter four-cylinder delivering 150 hp, in some versions.

The most significant development is the Focus's growth spurt: The wheelbase is 103.9 inches and overall length is 171.3 inches, thus providing considerably more space in the passenger compartment.

The new Focus will be offered with four-wheel disc brakes. Other safety features will include dual-stage front airbags, side curtain airbags, and seat-mounted front side airbags.

See less See more
#4 ·
can't say i like it. from other pics i've seen, the rear end looks horrible. Hoping the front end is just due to the computer generation because it doesn't look quite right.
The current one looks awesome, especially ST170, RS and the oneoff Cosworth pic i've seen.

#5 ·
hmmm I'm not sure I like it. The reason I bought the Focus was partly coz it isn't your standard big, bulbous cloned Corolla/Civic... The Focus is a big car with a tight design, unlike the blatantly tall, fat and round others. Shame it's going the same way as the others. Guess I'll have to see it undisguised to make up my mind though, as it may be very misleading.

#8 ·
I definately don't like the artist's impression in the first link - it looks like a Renault, and you can't really tell from the camouflaged ones if it looks decent. Hopefully it looks less boxy than that.

#10 ·
the current focus has done really well, in europe. it hasn't really been here in aus long enough to counter the image of the corolla and astra that have been around for a long time. but it's sales are getting better all the time. so the new focus will have to be pretty good to get as many sales....especially in europe

#15 ·
that new pic looks too much like the new astra for my liking. Will be interesting to see it in the flesh... see the final accepted design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.