VDC Advance Trac explained - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 02:33   #1 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

VDC Advance Trac explained

VDC Advance Trac explained... I optioned it on my Zetec and I have loved it, saved my arse at least once when I least expected it. This is a brilliant review, discovered hidden stuff on the fordfocus website!!!

The bonus is it's switchable which rocks, can turn it off if you wanna have a go, have a drag or just wanna have fun, although it's perfectly tuned I reckon to not be too intrusive around corners, just the traction control is a little too strong for me... then again I break traction FAR too much

Enjoy! http://www.fordfocus.com.au/home/pre...release_04.pdf

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Last edited by Zetec; 01-21-2004 at 02:37.
Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 04:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: VDC Advance Trac explained

First time I drove the ST170 we drove it quite hard around some twisty bits and it was one of the first things I turned off. It's a good safety net on an unknown road or in the wet, but in the dry I found it was a bit intrusive, I want a wheel to spin sometimes. But, I'm just glad you can turn it off. The same VDC is also used on the Alfa 147 and 156 GTAs and the press gave the system good reviews.

Has anyone fitted the Quaife LSD to an ST170 or a car with the VDC installed? With VDC being an electronic form of traction/stability control, how would this interact with the LSD? Do you have to disconnect it?
lincolnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 00:18   #3 (permalink)
the fOCUS Family

too bad auto's can't have them.
uhzid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 00:29   #4 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

havent taken my car to its limits yet to test it out, tho i turn off the TC each time i hop in
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:43   #5 (permalink)
Registered stingy user

Hmmm - Mine hardly ever comes on. I take the odd corner. It may be my tyres though? I'll look this up.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:10   #6 (permalink)
the fOCUS Family

went to royal national part today and boy the roads in the park are so rough, did 100km in the park and some corners are so sharp, almost lost it a few times at high speed, wish i had the VDC. i've never took the focus on such a rough ride since the day i got it... wow... when you push it to the limit it performs well than i thought. too bad VDC's can't be fitted on auto.

Last edited by uhzid; 02-01-2004 at 02:12.
uhzid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:01   #7 (permalink)

Hi plps.

I am currently looking around my local ford dealers for a 5 door 2003 zetec with the 17" wheel option.

The thing i would like to know is what people with VDC Advancetrac realy think about it. What's it like doing hard corners with and without it in places like the national park and old pacific hwy?

I have found a fair few foci with the 17" rims, but I was wondering if it would be worth my while to keep looking for one with the VDC Advancetrac option.
Laser_PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:32   #8 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Its a good option, can get you out of trouble if you get yourself really into it.

Saying that on the drive i went on, on the weekend, i left it active and compared to the other ST170 that was there without it, i was lagging behind a bit...

If i had the choice i would never have optioned it on my car, as i wanted cruise control instead... take cars with and without it for a spin and see

Beifall

Chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 16:40   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for that Fordel.

The salesman offered to take me out in his own ST170 to see what it was like but I didn't realy bother at the time.
The zetec handled realy well and took the corners realy tight when I drove it.

Just wondering how it goes in the wet? Does it become more usefull when in the rain. My theory is to turn it off in the dry and run it in the wet.

I think I will take your advise and try out the car with advance trac, but I might do it in the wet.
Laser_PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 17:05   #10 (permalink)
Linux User

The VDC advancetrac on my zetec is always on. I never bother turning it off, it resets itself every time you start the car. It's unobtrusive in normal driving and certainly helps when you hit dirt mid corner. As far as in the wet, I haven't noticed it kicking in too often, but it makes for one hell of a surefooted ride.

The best time to test it all out would definitely be when it's raining.

Eibach Pro Kit, 2 1/4" Cat back exhaust, Tinted, K+N panel filter, Zetec mats

Leather/Aluminium Gear knob & handbrake cover, ST170 indicators

brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum