What is bent on the rear hub??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 15:43   #1 (permalink)

What is bent on the rear hub???

I have been battling a shimmy and while checking the rims for a bent one since the previous owner whaled a curb and had the front rims replaced already I noticed that the right rear is about .045" camber wise off on of those gages(i can not remember what it is calles but rides on the edge of the rim) just had the tires reblanced so they are ok. Well it is the same when I switch the rims from one side to the other so the rims are fine. What could it be, Spindle, Hub, Lower arm,let me know what you think because the car did ride all the way up the curb and all four wheels hit hard. but the other 3 wheels all spin within about .006" to .009" of a inch. even when switching wheels around
boborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 16:36   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: What is bent on the rear hub???

Hard to say but it could have bent some control arms too.
Old 01-07-2012, 21:30   #3 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

That^, or it could have even messed up the bearing in the drum.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 23:14   #4 (permalink)

I already changed alot, on the rear though just brakes and drums with bearings (no difference) and up front I did: new cv joints,tie rods,ball joints, front bearings. Before I checked rims the only thing left was shocks and struts (i heard struts can get a harmonic vibration)but know i found this and it does the shimmy only above 65mph and when in gear or coasting in neutral.
Old 01-08-2012, 13:49   #5 (permalink)

Why don't you save your money and check for tire separation. If all 4 wheels went up on the curb i'll bet the tires are damaged. You can only see that from the inside of the tire.
Cord separation. Most tires out there now are 2 ply tread and 1 ply side wall. Very
smooth ride but piss on them and the rubber will separate. Well not that bad but you get
my drift.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 14:06   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I hear what your saying. 2 new tires up front had the others remounted on different rims all seemed ok and balanced well.just the one side left rear has this wobble in it. I just wasn't sure if there was a weak part that someone new about I believe it has something to do with the spindle not letting the rim mount square.
Old 01-08-2012, 17:45   #7 (permalink)

Had a car i bought off my friend. Serious alcoholic. Hit many a curb. Bent the rear axle
flange. 1/4 inch wow in the true run of the wheel. Never new it until i had my wife follow me home when we had both cars in town. The car drove smooth. No vibration. even with a
bent flange. No tire built will be perfect side to side. It will wobble. It's the up and down
movement that will shake a car.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:26   #8 (permalink)

Well found it!!! It was a bad bearing in the new brake drum. Yes believe it or not. I thought it was the rear bearing the first time,replaces brakes,drums with new bearing and the vibration was still there so I moved on. Yesterday put it on the lift at my bros house and after taking off the rear drum and checking everything for square so to speek. We relized that the new bearing wich only had about 6k on it was like pebbles spinning around and we checked it and found that it was pressed in crooked about .006" (why I do not know a burr maybe in the machining cheap china drum) off which translated into .045" on the outside of the rim (my wobble).The drum came off easily by hand so we didn't mess up the bearing. Put a new drum with bearing on Peerrrrfect at 75mph. The tire now has a slight cup to it but thats the only slight knobby feeling that i feel know at 70mph I am sure, Whooo Hoooo!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Good find. Thanks for the update.
Old 01-18-2012, 14:21   #10 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

bearings aren't always good when you get em, that's why when you have what you are describing, it's a good idea to check the bearing and the axle that the bearing rides on, which I hope you checked the axle good, small scrapings can do damage over and over to the bearing.

It's also a good idea to put a very light coat of grease on the axle, even know the Haynes manual says not to. Go figure?

Did the bearing look like this?

Mine on my 00 wagon were toast on the back right.

BTW: I used a gear puller to pull that ring off, and I was able to re-use the axle.

And when you go to put that hub nut back on with all the new parts, it needs to be torqued down to 180 FT-LB's.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum