wierd clanky noise on acceleration ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 04:16   #1 (permalink)

wierd clanky noise on acceleration ?

I've just bought a 2007 focus zetec LT 2.0 auto and after a few days it's started to make a wierd clank sound when accelerating from a start, its kind of like a metal clank (sort of subtle) towards the front. The noise doesn't happen when revving from Neutral, only happens when moving, and only from a start. Should I be concerned enough to take it to a mechanic ?
inspector_grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 18:34   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: wierd clanky noise on acceleration ?

What's the mileage? It could be a number of things, but nothing to really get concerned over. If the sound gets worse by ANY means get it checked out, or if it annoys you any more get it checked out.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 00:52   #3 (permalink)

It has 17000 km on it. Wierd thing is it went away today and came back briefly driving home. I'll just ignore it unless it gets worse. It's kind of like it revs down too low before kicking back up on acceleration... when it gets down in revs it makes a horrible little clanky sound. Fingers crossed! Any chance that poor fuel would cause that kind of thing ? (just taking a wild guess)
Old 07-16-2008, 12:14   #4 (permalink)
canuck

With that mileage the warranty should still be covered (comprehensive & powertrain), I'd take it to a dealer to get diagnosed and they should fix the problem free of charge. The way you explained it, it seems like you have a slight case of engine lugging which may mean you'll need a software update or a computer/transmission remap to solve the problem. Make sure to let the dealer know of both problems as they might be linked.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 07-17-2008, 00:46   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the word "lugging", as a newbie it helps to have keywords like that to research via google. I found a good discussion on forums about lugging and it does sound like a candidate. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just driving it poorly and confusing the transmission. Its not happened at all today and I was being quite "gentle" to it. At least now I have a word to drop when I try and explain it to the poor dealer. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2008, 18:46   #6 (permalink)
canuck

Your more than welcome. How would you be 'driving it poorly'? Automatics are a no brainer to operate. The most common mistake people do is wrongly select the proper forward gear (they'll leave it in 3rd while driving on the interstate without realizing the tach is upwards of 3500rpm). It won't hurt the engine none, but fuel economy, engine wear and noise will increase.

Still, the engine shouldn't lug as you described in your first post. The dealer should have no problem duplicating the problem. While your searching the net, see if you can find any TSB's (technical service bulletins) published for your model year vehicle. It might give you some added insight on other ongoing problems if there are any.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 08-03-2008, 16:10   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector_grim View Post
It has 17000 km on it. Wierd thing is it went away today and came back briefly driving home. I'll just ignore it unless it gets worse. It's kind of like it revs down too low before kicking back up on acceleration... when it gets down in revs it makes a horrible little clanky sound. Fingers crossed! Any chance that poor fuel would cause that kind of thing ? (just taking a wild guess)
CHECK the recall from the dealership my friend had a recall on his zx but it was a manual just go call the ford dealer give them the VIN# and ask if u have any recalls on it but a clanky noise is what happend to my old lancer when i had it rite befor i dropped the clutch now i have 2 foccus's and a ranger best car i ever had is my zx =P but seriously go get it checkd for a recall if u have 1 than its a free fix =P

"im a newbie as well dont feel bad lol"
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum