Will it start won't it start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 14:04   #1 (permalink)

confused Will it start won't it start

I have a 2003 reg tdci Focus with 40K on the clock, fully serviced by Fords 'finest'

I Stopped at a set of lights and pulled away on the green, only for the engine to stop with no arning at all. Cranked it a couple of times but no joy, so pushed it out of the way 'uphill'! Called the breakdown guys who turned up after 45mins and moved it somewhere safer. Then tried to start it and guess what, it fired up. The breakdown guy followed me the few miles home only for it to happen again. I was doing 30 at the time on a near relaxed throttle. The glow plug indicator light started to flash as well.

Anyone here got any ideas, oh, and guess when the warranty expired, yes, about 5 days ago!!
wilberforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 14:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: Will it start won't it start

Sounds a lot like the camshaft position sensor, should show a code of P0340 I think, with this being a known concern and in view of the full service history you may be entitled to a 'good-will' claim, speak to Ford customer care.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:46   #3 (permalink)

The "Fix_or_repair_daily" is in the dealer. I managed to drive it there (about 4miles) without any problems this afternoon, then had a pleasant walk home. I suppose I was suffering form the quote of 62 quid to run the diagnostic test.

They did mention the goodwill claim but it would be only 40% 'donation' due to the age of the car and the mileage. Hell, it is only out of warranty by 8 days now and has just clocked up 40K miles. Out of the eight days it is out of warranty, the car was in a bodyshop for seven of them because some prat in a Merc tail ended me whilst I was stationary!! I can't win.
Old 11-09-2006, 14:57   #4 (permalink)

Really, Ford or any other manufacturer come to that aren't obliged to give ANY sort of recompense outside of the warranty period, the system is on a sliding scale according to mileage etc; without the WDS/ IDS test to read the stored codes you'd just be guessing and maybe end up costing a hell of a lot more. Plus the light would still be on, you need to clear the code in the diag. run. Average labour being around 70-80, 62 is about right. Hey, you could always buy a Vau*hall...
Old 11-11-2006, 14:13   #5 (permalink)

Sorted.

Cam position sensor replaced and with 40% donation from Ford = £66.62.

For some reason I suspected it was the cam sensor, don't know why.

Happy now.

By a Vau*hall, let me consider that.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:13   #6 (permalink)

'For some reason'......maybe I told you? Not bad for remote diagnosis. It's a thankless task, this. :-(
Old 11-13-2006, 14:59   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtech.
Sounds a lot like the camshaft position sensor, should show a code of P0340 I think, with this being a known concern and in view of the full service history you may be entitled to a 'good-will' claim, speak to Ford customer care.
You mentioned a 'known concern'. Is this something Ford know about but have not done anything about trying to sort out or doing a recall?

By the way, I was told it was code P0340. So, yes, not bad for a remote diagnosis
Old 11-14-2006, 11:32   #8 (permalink)

There was a tech bulletin released some time ago regarding modified CMP sensors, so yes action was taken. Recalls are only carried out where the manufacturer thinks there is a widespread and imminent possibility of safety being compromised eg brake failure, fire risk etc; obviously they thought not in this case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum

Related Reading: Will it start won't it start