Ford Forums banner

Worn brakes, focus

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  xcgxl 
#1 ·
I have a Zetec (Purchased in 2003) which I have been 100% happy with; my first bit of unhappiness was experienced when my Ford dealer serviced the car at 40,000 kms, and I was told that all brake pads plus the front discs are worn, and need replacing (they are too thin to be machined). I would have thought the discs would last far longer than 40,000kms. Apparently Ford know this is a problem but they only cover it under warranty up to 20,000kms. Has anyone else experienced this? In my view if it's a known problem and the car is still under warranty then I shouldn't have to fit the bill, at least for the discs.

#3 ·
Unfortunately I know few Focus owners who've lasted beyond 60,000km. My front discs and full pads went at 48,000km, 2002 build Zetec manual. It's a known issue on Focus, Barina, Astra and Vectra in Australia, seems the small Euros just have brakes that are too soft and corrosive on the discs. They stop well, but at the expense of high wear. Try EBC greenstuff pads for longer lasting brake pads, you can also try a tougher discs of you shop around, try DBA Australia for starters. Hope this helps.

I actually just replaced mine all with factory parts but will put on the EBC pads next time around.

#4 ·
I've also had problems with brakes - needed new pads all around and new disc rotors on the front after 35,000. I've spoken to a number of mechanic/technical people and they have all heard of the problem to varying degrees. Some have needed replacements a lot earlier. I've complained to the dealer and to Ford Australia and they basically told me to get lost. I don't like being totally ripped off and am thinking about taking it further.

If there are any others in a similar situation I'd be interested to hear about it - it will help me support my argument.

#5 ·
I mentioned in pasing to my local brake mechanic that I was thinking of getting a Focus. He straight away said that he sees them all the time with around 30,000Km on them and its an $800 job. That's what put me off getting one. And all of the problems with the BA Falcon mentioned on these forums put me off getting one of them for life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.