Zetec 2.0 engine pinging? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2003, 05:24   #1 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Question Zetec 2.0 engine pinging?

Hey guys,

Lately since my 15k service, and after getting that engine mount replaced under warranty, my engine seems to be making a slight pinging noise above about 4000rpm in 1st and second. Haven't tested it in 3rd coz that involves 110km/h plus speeds and i haven't left the burbs in a while... but basically it runs clean and hard all the way to 4000rpm, as you might know the zetec's on song from about 3000rpm but when it should really be screaming it seems to be making a resonance of some sort. Is louder some times than others, not uniform and not guaranteed. Depends on the day but is always present. NOTHING else is wrong with it, so it seems. Just a high rpm problem. Slight power drop, maybe a very slight lack of power up top past 4500rpm, altho that may be me backing off subconsciously or even doncentrating too much on the noise.

Got it checked out by the local dealer and they had no idea, did diagnostic tests etc and couldn't find anything out of place without pulling the whole engine cover off etc and checking the new mount for proper fitment. I have to take it back to the dealer who fixed the engine mount and did the 15k service (Dominelli). It's only something that has developed in the last few hundres kays, wasn't immediate from service as back then it was fantastic. Dominelli are great by the way.

Been doing some research and I am lead to believe it may be pinging, timing is too advanced or perhaps the poil grade is wrong and the valves are playing up (taping maybe?). I have used factory oil, run it on Premium and have never had a backfire or anything, it sounds fine. Gets driven hard a bit, but otherwise it has no signs of any problems. Can anyone help?

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Last edited by Zetec; 10-20-2003 at 05:26.
Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 17:36   #2 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

Re: Zetec 2.0 engine pinging?

Wish i could mate, but i am stumped. Maybe try a different set of leads? Does it depend on the outside temp- eg. does it play up in the heat?
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 17:43   #3 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

No it's independent of temperature, it happens every time I drive it. It's kind of like an in built anti-fanging device. Only kicks in above 4000rom every time!! I was going to book it in tomorrow but now I need it for Friday so I'll put it in next week.

Old 10-20-2003, 19:03   #4 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

Yeah when in doubt take it to the experts. Hopefully it doesnt do a case of murphys law and run fault free at the dealers- gee I hate it when that happens!
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 19:32   #5 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

and i tell u what the little bugger did that to me last time with a rattle that ALWAYS plays up... but not on the day grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It's not som much a rattle as something loose, so it's not wear and tear but a loose connection. So that's another thing to my list.

Old 01-02-2004, 04:52   #6 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Problem Fixed!!!!

Hey all,

Well finally after finishing uni and having time to put my car into Ford, they have fixed my problem. The engine mount that was replaced was apparently faulty again and they said it looked like it was about 1.5mm off target, which means it was slightly dodgy and explains why there was a resonance/vibration at certain higher engine loads when the torque was at it's greatest (high RPM in 1st and 2nd gear mainly).

They replaced the mount a 2nd time and now it is a smooth a liquid gold. Amazing, it's like a new car again. I realise just how crap it was for those 2 months or so and now I've been happily revving the beast just to feel how smooth it is!

SWEEEEEEEEEET!! Healthy Zetec = Happy Matt.

Old 01-02-2004, 05:40   #7 (permalink)

Is that the top engine mount? I have heard that those are a bit of a problem on all Zetec engined cars in europe aswell.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:58   #8 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Hmm not sure of that, I think it was actually the driver's side rear mount. but I'll check on that. Anyone know the layout of the mounts on the Zetec engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum