ZX3 mileage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2003, 10:24   #1 (permalink)
spacefem

ZX3 mileage

hey... hope I'm posting this in the right area :)

I bought a 2000 ford focus ZX3 last november. I figured with a four cylinder engine I'd get crazy awesome mileage, but so far I haven't. I've been calculating it and getting 23-25 mpg in the city. On the highway, I once got 29.8... so I have yet to break 30.

I love my focus... it's been reliable, handles well, easy to see out of. The only thing that bugs me is the 13 gallon gas tank, which has bugged me even more since I figured out I only get 23 mpg! According to <a href="http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/15789.shtml">this page</a> and others I've found, I should be breaking 30 all the time... definately getting over 25 in the city.

It's got 30,000 miles on it, I haven't done anything to it modification-wise, but I'm open to ideas. What do you all think?

[edit: bloody hell, I just found the part of the forums where you talk about, um, Foci. stupid spacefem. and it won't let me delete the post. sorry guys.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2003, 18:53   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

ahh no worries on the posting in the wrong spot. :p Of course mileage will vary on how you drive your car. I am getting 17mpg - 20mpg in my cobra. That is when i drive her soft. When i am nailing it.....well that is another story. I think i use more like 2 gallons a mile.

There are other things that can affect your gasmileage.

1. Check your plugs. when were they last replaced?
2. Check your O2 sensors. Poor condition o2's will cause an enrichening effect.
3. have dealer check for any codes.
4. The catalytic converter could be getting clogged up...but you may notice other things with that. Usually a bad or clogged Cat will store a code in your PCM.
5. Checked the speedometer and odometer for accuracy.
6. Have you had a smog test recently? This will give you signs of possible problems.

Your car, like all vehicles from 1996 on, has a very efficient computer system that will set off a check engine light on the smallest malfunction. And if it has not or has then it cleared that code will more than likely still be stored. The dealer can check it for you. Most dealers if you are on good terms with them will do it for nada. Some may charge you an hours labor. Ask prior and dont be afraid to walk out to another dealer if they say they will charge you. I know around here we have within 20 minutes drive time 7 dealers.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:54   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: ZX3 mileage

Best MPG around (fORD fOCUS 2004 2.0l sohc 110HP)

Techniques and % saved by me on my ford focus wagon 2004 (EPA quotes: 27/32)

1- Mexican Overdrive at least 30% of the time (saves 67% of the cumulative distance since 33% is grab by air/rolling resistance)

2- Follow big trucks when faster than 105kmh (10 - 12% economy average)

At this time I achieved an average of 47mpg on road (4.85l/100km) and 40mpg in city (that's 40 - 50% better than EPA)

sorry I forgot:

4- First of all, you'le have to lower the idle speed from regular rpm (700 - 1,500) to steady lower than 500rpm (that means 1 liter / hour for my 2l engine)
Few basic stuff:

For efficient mexican overdrive increase your tire pressure to higher than 40psi (I run at around 45psi without handling problems) and make sure nothing is decelerating you (outside regular resistance / hills)
paulcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum