Decisions Decisions - make me like my car again!
Alright, well this week has topped it off for me, I am going through a period of hating my car something chronic atm.
So I'm evaluating some plans for it, and while nothing in the way of getting rid of it will happen for some time yet (will probably have it at least until next year), I'd like to hear some opinions on what you guys think I would be better off doing.
The situation is - I own my car outright (well, parents do but they gave it to me so it is technically mine). It doesnt owe me anything, however it does have a few more problems than I would like/expect. (EFII Futura for those who dont know).
Anyway, what I know needs doing is as follows:
*Full suspension cleanup i.e. new bushes, new front shocks, spring reset etc. ($?)
*New power steering pump. ($2-300)
*Pretty much a full respray after a panelbeater totally f**ked the colour matching (and no insurance wont pay to have it fixed, ive tried that avenue).($?)
*The ever looming headgasket issue (around $1k)
And then of course there is all the stuff i would like to do to it:
*17" wheels (finally) ($?)
*Extractors ($5-600 or so)
*Few custom interior bits but nothing too huge ($?)
*A decent sound system (i.e. stacker, better speakers etc) ($1k)
I really love the shape of the EF/L models, and I would one day love to have my EF as a real head turner - one thats not too common (there arent many round here anyway), and one that can give a few people a bit of a shock at the lights. However, these things cost money, and there is a bit that needs doing before it would be at that stage, and with 185,000 on the clock already, I'm starting to doubt whether it's worth doing - cos every dollar you throw at a car, you never see again.
My options are as follows:
*Sell my EF, buy an EL or AU and do it up
*Sell the EF, buy a BA and go into some serious debt however have a car i would be happy to keep for 10yrs;
*Keep the EF, get it up to scratch and then possibly do an engine changeover later down the track.
And more importantly, the costs:
* Option 1 = anywhere up to about $20,000
* Option 2 = closer to $30000
* Option 3 = anywhere from $2-5k, then whatever i feel like spending after that.
So, some opinions would be great, as right now the car is doing nothing more than frustrating and annoying me every time i drive/look at it.
Sorry for such a long post, but there's a fair bit to consider!
Help me make a decision, or at least get closer to making one!
2002 Focus CL Hatch
too slow..............for now