Ford Forums banner

Focus and Laser Duo

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Timmeh 
#1 ·
Well, after years in Falcons, we both finally got rid of the problematic sixes for a pair of four bangers. I posted a little while ago for some advice on the new Laser, which was most helpful.

My brother traded his 1994 ED Falcon in for a 2001 Champagne KQ Laser, still being an apprentice couldn't afford a Focus or an SR2. I traded my 1995 EF Falcon for a 2003 Blue Flame Focus mid last year.

The Laser certainly has more initial down low torque, but seems to lack in the mid range. As suggested, a 2 inch cat back exhaust is on the cards to fix this. The Focus is awaiting lowering to check for clearances over the IRS before it receives an upgrade to the exhaust. Being a 2 1/2 inch stainless system factory, the mufflers are simply going to be replaced with a single high flow unit.

The Laser sits about 500rpm higher than the Focus at 110kmh on the freeway, but red lines 500rpm sooner, at about 6500. Both cars are 5 speed manuals, both gearboxes quite tight with shirt shifts. Reverse is perhaps harder in the Focus to engage than the Laser, although it is much newer with a third of the kms.

The second Focus mod were the custom rear tail lights, the first being the clear side indicators from the RS Focus, at only four bucks each. Go figure on a German import, the parts are very cheap. The side indicators will probably be the first on the Laser also. The Focus got the new Euro style number plates from new, also.

While we're still working out what we want to do to the Laser, the Focus has a hybrid Infocus Motorsport / Ford Motorsport body kit awaiting spraying. The Laser probably won't get a bodykit, as it spends alot of time in public places, probably just a nice set of wheels and lowering to give it the clean look.

The Focus was bought as a base model, so as to not pay for things twice. The body, wheels, and engine mods will make the car look and go much quicker than a Zetec, Even if I was buying a Zetec, I would have opted for the four door, my last two door was a nightmare... very inconvenient for my application.

A set of 17 inch rims is en route for the car (pictured above), and once the bodykit goes on, it will be lowered. This will allow us the check the clearance of the IRS to see what we want to do exhaust wise. Tint on both cars will happen as soon also.

I'd say comfort wise, the seats in the Laser are nicer, but less firm. You do feel like you are actually sitting in them, not on them, like the Focus. The Focus has a dark black interior, while the lighter two tone of the Laser is nice also. The Laser's double DIN cd unit rivals the Focus unit quite easily, although the intergrated stereo controls on the steering column of the Focus is a nice touch. Fuel economy is about the same in both cars, haven't really had the Laser long enough to get a good idea yet.

Well, hope anyone finds this vaguely interesting comparing the base Laser and Focus while they are both in standard trim.
Now, brings on the mods!!! :wnc:

Cheers....... Tim

See less See more
#5 ·
can't wait to see what's gona happen to those car's, it might even inspire me to do something to my mums 2000 kn laser :s6:

#6 ·
Cheers for the replies!

Finally got the wheels on the Focus, lowering will happen next weekend, then bodykit in a couple weeks (panel beater rather busy until late Feb unfortunately).
Just a quick pic! :wnc:

Laser also got a good alarm fitted today...

Cheers.... Tim!

#7 ·
ooer, nice tim :)
the laser really looks like a older model focus or something :p
look forward to the comming months ;)

#9 ·
Heh cheers! The wheels are actually not Zetec wheels, Zetecs only come with 16 inch wheels standard, in like a double 5-spoke configuration. These are the optional 17's across the range (except the ST170 which comes with it's own unique set of 17's). It can get confusing!

Can't wait to see the rest either, especially seeing as the kit has been in the garage for a few months! Thanks to Resty for packaging and sending the wheels so well - no damage at all!

An interesting note - we went to Ford, asked if the keys for the KQ Laser could be cut anywhere or if they need to be bought thru Ford (ie, they disable the immobliser). "Nah, she'll be right mate, get em cut anywhere." So off we went and bought another 2 keys for spares, went to start the car, it turned over, but nothing! Was a bit worried, went back inside, got the factory key, went out, started first time. Tried the other key - no go. So they must be keyed for the immobliser - thanks Ford!

Learn something every day....

Cheers...... Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.