My car might be written off, what can I do?
As some of you may be aware, I was involved in an accident in my XR6 last week on the way to help out Dellboy999. Since the accident the car has been sitting at Mack Motor Body Repairs, but unknown to me until yesterday was the fact that no work has been started on it.
So I went there yesterday to get some stuff out of the car and the manager told me that they were waiting for the go ahead. I asked him why and he said that the car had been valued at $7000 and that the value of the work required on it was somewhere in the vicinity of $4800.
Now apparently RACV has a policy, which states that if the work required on the car exceeds 70% of the market value of the car, then it is deemed to be a total loss - and this is the reason for the delay as it is so close to the mark.
As you can probably imagine I am a little upset over this, as I won't find out until Tuesday what is going to happen. I am also upset because when I bought the car 2 months ago and took out the policy, I was told that the market value of my car was $9000 - $9900. The car had only done 140,000 kms and was in absolutely pristine condition, so I really don't want it to be written off.
If it does though, what avenues of appeal do I have? Some people might want the money, but I am not one of them, I loved that car, worked hard to save up for it, and only had it for 2 months before some idiot decided to turn in front of me. In short I just want it back the way it was before the accident, which is the reason I took out fully comprehensive insurance.
Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Black EB S-XR6 5 Speed Lukey Exhaust Lowered AU2 Tickford Wheels
Alpine CDA-7892E,Alpine MRD-M500, Alpine MRV-F303, Alpine Type 'S' 12" Subs x 2, Boston Acoustics RC620 and CX-6