My Radar Detector - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2003, 05:44   #1 (permalink)

eek My Radar Detector

Here's my new radar detector I got it the other week and so far its saved me at least $100....dont get me wrong im not a maniac driver this thing is just handy to have. Plus they are legal in W.A

Go to http://www.fordforums.com/gallery/sh...t=1&thecat=500

for a pic
ELboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2003, 13:25   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

that's it .. rub it in for us that aren't allowed one
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 17:17   #3 (permalink)
EFXR62

i agree with them being legal.. Should be legal in all states..
Old 01-13-2003, 17:21   #4 (permalink)
JP
XR6 Driver

Question

ELboy,

Where did you get it from? How much did it cost you? I want one !!!!

Cheers,
JP
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 18:11   #5 (permalink)

I got it from Audio Com in Bunbury W.A.....lots of places sell them like electrical places which sell car hi-fi equipment. Mine cost me $699. I dont see why they wanna make them ilegal I found it slows me down most times its just nice to have some reasurrence when you pull up next to a commodore and want to nail it....normally I get ample time when u multi nova is ahead but sometimes I may only get 50metres or so but can get up to 1km on laser guns aparently though I havent passed a laser gun since I got it.
Old 01-13-2003, 18:19   #6 (permalink)
JP
XR6 Driver

Sweet man.

Let us know how you go when you pass a laser gun!

Cheers
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 19:13   #7 (permalink)

They're legal in NZ. I have a Uniden one, (around $ 400) and I have never had a ticket. You can get really powerful ones, such as Bel or Valentine for 1,500 - 2,000, however mine does the job. Lasers guns are the most dangerous, as when your detector sees it, it goes crazy (sounds like space invaders on steroids !) and you have VERY LITTLE time to slow down. Anyway, they have to physically be able to see your car to aim it and you should be able to see them, esp if you are reasonable vigilant.

I'm the same as ELboy, I'm no maniac, but on a straight motorway, at 6:00 am when I drive to work, come on it's got to be the safest road in the whole country (NZ) and I don't see why I can't do 120 or so esp when there's hardly any cars around anyway.

They seem to be best at detecting the radars cops have mounted on their dashboards. Driving back from the holidays I kept picking up a strong signal, then a couple of km's (!) further, a cop car would drive up over the hill or around the corner. Amazing.

You can get the ones which you instal behind your grill, and they also have a built in jammer which means not only can cops not see the thing, but they cannot 'detect' it themselves. However you are looking at 1,500 or so for these and you would have to buy in USA or NZ.
Kiwi Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 19:35   #8 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

We've got one in our XR, we don't go nuts either, mostly comes in handy when you're overtaking or having a quick fang. Not sure which one ours was but it was around $900. Newer models have a GPS function that can store fixed radar locations or false things like petrol stations so it won't go off.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 22:49   #9 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

sweet man, I started a thread in the interior garage about these... i want one!! I also dont drive like a maniac, but I think it could be handy to have.

Have you heard anything about a radar dectector detector?? that cops run to catch people, have you heard that they can actually do this??
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:26   #10 (permalink)

I have a Bel Detector which is the best brand to get from what I know. I'm not worried about the cops detecting it because they are legal in W.A as you saw in my first post I mount it on my windscreen. Gees they piss you off near petrol stations but!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom