My wife's 66 Mustang - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 07:11   #1 (permalink)

My wife's 66 Mustang

It's all metal and all purple. Hey, it's her favorite color and happened to be painted Plymouth Prowler Purple when we found it. It had just been painted.

The picture of the car is darker than it actually is. The engine is the exact same color for comparison.

The white background horse in the grill lights up. It is tacky by day but kick-butt at night. Removed it anyways and put the original chrome horse back in. I'll rig up a removeable reflector to use in it's place with a bulb behind the chrome horse. Best of both worlds, day and night!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finished1.JPG (121.6 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Done7.JPG (84.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Car1A.JPG (66.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Car2.JPG (46.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg HorseLight4.JPG (21.7 KB, 62 views)
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 03:41   #2 (permalink)
Coupe XA

Re: My wife's 66 Mustang

sweet mate that engine looks smicko got any specs?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:09   #3 (permalink)

Ford Racing GT-40 X305 aluminium heads (58 cc)

Harland Sharp Roller rockers

Custom length pushrods (Smith Bros. Pushrods, http://www.pushrods.net , best place in the world to have them made!)

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake

Barry Grant Road Demon carb, 625 CFM w/vacuum secondaries

331 stroker kit (Eagle crank and rods)

9.5:1 compression Keith Black pistons w/full float pins and file fit molly rings

Lunati Retro-fit roller cam and lifters, 215 and 224 degrees duration at .050", .522" lift., 112 deg. lobe seperation angle.

Pro-Comp HEI distributor (need to get a black cap)

Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, custom ceramic coated inside and out, silver.

As you can see it is not a race engine. She wanted an engine with smooth idle so that limited a lot. It's got a C-4 tranny and 3.25:1 rear gear.

Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)

Steve that car is amazing thanks for sharing ! ! !
GMACK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01   #5 (permalink)

Thanks GMack. The previous owner took care of the sheetmetal, paint, and carpet, seat covers, and interior door panels. I've done everything else to the car including the engine compartment. I also design and machined the valve covers (bought diecast aluminium ones but I machined the text), wire looms with the stampeding Mustangs, and custom speaker grills pictured below.

The only thing I didn't do to the car was rebuild the tranny and rear axle. Friends of mine did that for me, they do it for a living. I did install the rear axle, replacing the original 6 cylinder one. Otherwise I put on all new springs, shocks, bumpers, gas tank and filler neck, door handles inside and out, brakes all around, rims and tires, misc. chrome, dashpad, instrument cluster and matching glovebox door, shifter, and a miriad of other things including the heater system.

Here's the custom speaker grills I designed and machined. No, they are not available. My wife has the only set in the world, and she likes it that way. They are in the rear package shelf.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pair2.jpg (45.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-04-2005, 05:55   #6 (permalink)

That's real a beauty!!
How many hours go into producing something like that?

David.
DavidGrieg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 18:57   #7 (permalink)

The whole car? I couldn't tell you! Too many to keep track of.

In 2004 I took a week off of work before going to a car show (All Ford Nationals in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, largest in country) and I had been doing a lot of work on it before that. For an entire week I worked on it 14 hours a day and every waking moment that I was home (not at work) before that. That's when I was replacing the rear end, all springs, tank, bumpers, etc.

This year I worked on the engine and engine compartment. I had lots of problems with suppliers not knowing how to do their job. It was very frustrating and added months (I can't work on it as often as I would like) to the job. I didn't have it done in time for that car show this year, again another marathon week of 14 hour days trying to get it done in time. Also the whole project seemed to fight me every 1/4 inch of the way!

This year I did the entire engine and engine compartment, replaced the heater box and blower, installed an electric fan, headers, and some other things I am sure. I still have to weld in subframe connectors.

Next year we are getting new doors and associated pieces. The ones on it now are about the only things that haven't been replaced and they have lots of surface rust on the insides and are bubbling the paint in a couple places on the outside, so I just want to get all new, rust free doors and then the car should be complete......after I replace the windshield too. It is rough on the surface and just will not clean up due to exposure for 40 years. We already have all new seals and chrome for the front and rear windows.....

....and then she also wants the 1966 Shelby hood with scoop.....

....and then......

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comp Before.JPG (79.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Left1.JPG (95.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RFcornerB.JPG (83.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 11-04-2005, 18:59   #8 (permalink)

.......oh, I forgot to mention the Flaming River rack and pinion steering with tilt wheel that might go in next year too.....

........and the power brake booster with dual master cylinder.......

Steve
Old 11-06-2005, 07:20   #9 (permalink)

So its a labor of love then? You've done a terrific job on it however long it took.

I'd love to have a car like that to go cruising in.

David.
DavidGrieg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 14:37   #10 (permalink)

Labor of love? Well, I do appreciate the feeling of accomplishment. Thre was a serious reason behind getting the car and doing to it what I've done.

1. I do like doing these kinds of things to a car.

2. Most importantly...when I decided I wanted to import an XB to Ohio I knew I had to smooth out the path, so to speak. So I got the wife's car that she has always wanted first and I am making it just how she wants it, and perhaps a little more even. Then when it was time to get my car and to start spending money on it I didn't have to listen to any complaining or opposition from her. Hey, she's got her's right? So it's only fair I have mine. So far it's worked perfectly. I paid for the car and to get it here from Australia, paid for the Mad Max body kit, ordered custom rims, and this week the zoomie exhaust pipes will be arriving at my house. Not one word from her and it's nice to not have to argue your point.

We also enjoy attending cruises together, each with our own vehicle.

Thanks again for the compliments, I am very proud fo it so far.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom