Ford Forums banner

My XA GT Replica.

7K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  2ndOwner 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my XA i had it for around 3 years now. I purchased it when i was 16 off my sisters friends dad who bought it brand new in 72 (an ex ford employee) He decided he didn’t want it anymore as it was just sitting in his garage unregistered for years. He told me i could have it for nothing if i took it off his hands so i did. The interior was brown with a rubber floor mat, ripped roof lining and bucket seats, it was pretty well worn..The good thing was the body didn’t have much rust at all considering how old it was.

Then the work started, the first mod i did was put on some mag wheels and wide tyres then see how she looked, and i fell in love : ) Then got my dad to help replace the 250 six “3 on the tree” for a mild 302 Cleveland and C10 auto. But before that we had to fit some Necessary parts. We took the front apart encluding the guards and replaced the radiator panel & coil springs with V8 items. Seeing the front was all apart it was a good time to give the underbody and underguard area a good grinding back and paint to remove all the dirt and grime that was picked up over the years.

When all the dirty work was over i got the windows tinted and got a twin system exhaust & extractors installed. Then it was also time to give the interior a sprucing up. So i got the rear seat and buckets re trimmed in black vinyl, replaced the rooflining, new black moulded carpet and a new set of seatbelts. I also replaced the standard brown dash for a black GT dash, then i was happy with the car …. for a while.. then decided i wanted to give it the GT treatment, so i spent a few years looking in the trading post for genuine GT parts. Like the rear stone tray (for oval exhaust tips) door trims, twin headlight grill , bonnet, then the guards which i only just got. now i'm happy with it all now. The only thing is the paints showing its age and needs a re spray that's getting done in a month or so. Hopefully i will get some pics up when shes all finished..

More pics Here:

http://www.fordgallery.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/9938

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
It,s going to be the original colour acrylic copper bronze mettalic. With the satin black bonnet and along the sills and around the wheel arches i got quoted around $4000 for the job..

Heres a pic of the interior..

#6 · (Edited)
Heres A picture of the clevo.

Engine Specs

Type:Ford XA 302 Cleveland Block
Capacity: 4.9
Pistons: Standard
Induction: (reco) 4bbl carter 600cfm thurmoquad
Manifold: Standard 4bbl
Exhaust: (new) high-tech headers, twin 2" pipes ,lukey mufflers
Crank: Standard 302
Cam: Mild
Heads: 302 2V
Ignition: XD Electronic Unit

Transmission: (reco) XD C10 Automatic

#8 ·
XA's are a killer looking car. My favourite would be a wild violet 4 door GT. I'd take one of those over an XY GT (not an XW Phase II though ;) )

Tears in eyes as I remember my XA Superbird Coupe.
351 FMX, Black GT interior inc dash/tacho option, electric sunroof, 127L fuel tank, Nightmist Blue. Regular "off the clock" runs to the country at night.
It was going to put a 429CJ 4 speed BBF in it... then I got married... then divorced... Shoulda kept the damn car!

#9 ·
Yes wild violet is unreal! My dads first xa was a wild violet gs with a factory fitted 351 and 9 inch lsd thats the car that Made Me love the XA,s.

Speaking of superbirds my dad has one. It has the bird decals and all. I will post a picture.

#11 ·
Wheels

2ndOwner there cheviot (centreline style) alimunium wheels. I don't think you can buy them brand new anymore. You could try many ford parts recyclers etc for some. If there not up to scratch you can allways get them polished usually $50 a rim and they will clean up like new.

#12 ·
More Pictures Of The XA

Before it had more colours than a rainbow.

Attachments

#13 ·
More Pictures

And here it is in multicolored glory. I know looks horrible (but its only temporary)

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Running Gear Specs:

Front Springs: Pedders V8 Coil

Rear Springs: Standard Leafs

Front Shocks: Pedders Sports Ryders

Rear Shocks: Pedders Sports Ryders

Wheels: Alloy Cheviot peanut style F: 14x7, R: 14x10

Swaybar: Front: Pedders 24mm , Rear: Pedders 18mm

Front Tyres: Bridgestone SF-340 Eager P235/60R14 96H

Rear Tyres: Bridgestone SF-340 Eager P245/60R14 99H

#17 · (Edited)
Well when i got the car the previous owner had wide Tyres on the back at one stage. He lipped the rear guards to make them fit. And when i got the car i unlipped them in order to fit the chrome wheel arch moulds. So when i fitted my 10" wide rims and 265 wide tyres they scrubbed the $#%@ out of the tyres over bumps. So i changed the tyre size to 245s and they just fit without scraping.

#18 ·
Good to see there i am not the only XA fan in Geelong .
I am up to about my 10th XA now and currently own a replica GT Hardtop and a 6cyl 4 door that i rescued from the wreckers when looking for some guards.Brought it for $300 spent $200 and passed a RWC no probs. Has not missed a beat since.
Keep up the good work

#19 ·
Fantastic a local XA fan!. I was on the search for some guards/bonnet there at one stage and was hunting around alot of wreckers for some. I was looking for a fairly straight left hand guard but diddint have any luck.But i finally found some genuine GT bonnet/guards in the trading post they were a bit expensive but i was desperate. What wreckers did you find the xa at? I might have seen it.

#20 ·
I found the XA at Macwreck about 12months ago but it had not been there very long,and if you had of seen it you would have bought it straight away.
Apart from a dent in the drivers rear door the body is perfect,and the only reason i got it so cheap is a friend of mine owns the wreckers and knows how much i like them.

#22 ·
Yes should do xa after its finished. Should be soon.

#25 · (Edited)
I promised myself i would replace that GXL steering wheel for a gt one when i find one that isnt cracked and here it is.. The respray is on hold for a while But until then i will replace those lh doors and get the dents taken out of the bonnet and primed..

#26 ·
I know where there is a GT (XA/B) steering wheel just sitting on a XB Fairmont that's rusting away,I've spoken to the owner but he dosn't care about it and wont sell it to me, Dosn't that shit ya,and what's worse is there is also a pair off geniune Bathurst Globe's on the rear,man I am pissed that they are just sitting there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.