Now an XB Pilot - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2004, 17:18   #1 (permalink)
XB Pilot

Now an XB Pilot

Howdy,

Thought I might show you the XB I picked up the princely sum of $1900 last week. Its a bit slow (couldn't pull the skin of rice pudding) compared to the V8 Vx Calais I had as a work car, but i've got grand plans.
Currently powered by the original 240000km 6 cylinder, c4 and 2.96 diff, it has an immaculate interior, an old style MOMO steering wheel and an alright stereo containing a Pioneer CD Player, 6 channel amp, Polk Audio 6x9's and twin 10" JBL Subs.
Outside the car is dead straight, never been stacked but has been bitten badly by cancer in the front guards and lower front doors.

Plans: Repair rust and respray in original colour. Transfer running gear from ZF fairlane (someone wanna buy it after i done?) 351c, C4 and 2.75 Lsd.
Clean up the engine bay, add twin exhausts and install POWER STEERING!
Get suspension fixed up and lowered more.
Then add some decent front speakers and change head unit, get the drivers seat re-trimmed and fix centre console lid.

Hopefully I can get all this done over the next month.

I'll put up pictures of the interior and engine/boot soon, and I'll add pictures of the the rebuild.

Let me know what you think

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Xb1.jpg (63.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Xb2.jpg (70.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Xb3.jpg (69.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Xb4.jpg (67.3 KB, 105 views)
siwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2004, 17:29   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: Now an XB Pilot

Looks pretty tidy. I presume that roof is painted!
Old 01-27-2004, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

good stuff there, siwren, hope your engine goes in nicely. love the xb's.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 18:04   #4 (permalink)
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff

looks great, love that model!
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
Finnaly back

nice, good buy!
Is there any reason you or respraying the original colour? less work? like the colour? or going for the sleeper look?
IMO I reakon its worth the bit extra to paint inside the doors and go for a whole new colour that will really stand out, just a thought :)
hope everything goes well 4 u.
Chad_XF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 18:44   #6 (permalink)
XB Pilot

No the roof isn't painted, its vinyl and in good nick too. It even has these brass coat-of-arms thingies on the C pillar. (any one know what they are?)

Yes, I would like a different colour, maybe light metallic silver/blue, but I don't really want to spend a fortune and even though you can get the inside of the doors and under boot and bonnet painted, the engine bay will still be the aqua colour unless theres another way of painting it without removing all the things under there. I wanted to change the engine first just incase I damaged the new paint and was going to give the engine a quick clean up and spray cause I can buy the original colour already in a can. I quess I could paint the bay black.

I wouldn't mind an orginal looking sleeper. One day i'll have 350+hp

What do you guys reckon?
Old 01-27-2004, 22:11   #7 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

Nice ride mate... looks like someone threw on a vynil roof and some Fairlane or XLE Cortina pillar badges to make it look classier, since it's a 500.

I'd leave it as is... just get rid of those mags mate! Freshen her up... add some nice running gear and your off! : )
Old 01-27-2004, 22:20   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

i think someone told me once that the "coat of arms thingy" was a dealer add-on. as far as i know they never came from the factory with them. i once had an XD with a vinyl roof(!) and it had the same badges.
if i had your car, i'd lose the rubber/plastic side mouldings(makes the car look fatter), swap the fuel cap and surround for a gt/gs cap, lose the mud flaps, keep it the same colour(hey, like you said, its easier lol) tint the windows as dark as possible, and drop the beast on its guts. these are usually the first things i do when i pick up an XA/B/C. that and rip out the six and drop in a clevo. yeah, i go through a few...hehe. currently driving an XB ute, low as, GT grille, bonnet.15x8 globes....
anyways.. you've got taste man, its a sweet car with a shitload of potential. if you've got any Q's regarding the conversion, just ask.
cheers, phil
montyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 23:42   #9 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Nice mate,but you will probably be eating your word's when you say"you don't want to spend a fortune", that's what we all say in the begining, but the''only a clean up ''(what we all say) turn's into a resto in the end, good luck with it.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 00:11   #10 (permalink)
XB Pilot

cool Re: Now an XB Pilot

I sure the envitable will happen, but I'm going to try and spread it out of the next few years. This is the fourth car I've owned and the last three cost and lost me heaps, though I wish I still had the EF. Moved on to company cars and bikes.
I want to try and keep the costs down so I can afford a trip overseas and a Kawasaki ZX6R. Hopefully all can be done by the end of the year.

The car will most probably stay the same colour, and the wheels will stay the like they are until I can afford some CSA Malibu's. I want to keep the car looking classic with lots of chrome & style.

That said: Should the chrome plastic strips that run the length of the car at hip height stay or go?
Like Phil (Montyv8), let me know what you reckon.

And how low can I go?? At the moment if i turn into a driveway that has a bit of a rise the tires hit the guards and damage the chrome strips which I wish to keep.

Hey, XWJG34 whats wrong with the jelly bean mags? Their classic. Unless the majority thinks otherwise.

I just took some extra pictures of the engine bay and interior so that once its mostly finish I can show the before and after pics.

Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom